A Mermaid's Tail

Catherine's POV

"Catherine, I'm going to be gone for a few hours, and Mikayla's visiting her friend, so I'm putting somebody new in charge of castle security. Someone I've seen blossom and mature into a fantastic warrior... Roger!" Dad states.

"Roger?! Oh, come on. I'm the best guard this castle has!" I complain.

"You're also my daughter and this is a dangerous island--" Dad starts but I'm not having any of it.

"But I'm twice as strong as any guy here!" I defend myself.

"Including Roger?" Dad questions.

I simply go over and grab Roger's pinky finger, getting him to stop picking his nose. He whimpers in fear even though I'm not doing anything at all.

"Especially Roger." I state.

"Okay. Cat's in charge!" Dad states.

"Thank you, Daddy! I won't let you down!" I exclaimed, hugging him. I quickly go over and high-five the other guards but stop at Roger since he was picking his nose a few moments ago.

I tell my family goodbye and look back to my guards.

"I'm going to go find the kings, you guys continue with your daily rounds." I tell them.

I open the door to the plaza and see Brady and Boomer in the cruiser.

"Hey, guys! Do I look any different?" I ask them, my confidence high.

"No, you look as good as you did yesterday... and the day before that and the day you were born. Am I still talking?" Brady questions himself.

I can't help but blush at his compliments but I remind myself of my duties.

"I meant can you tell my dad finally put me in charge of security? And my first order of business is to find out what you two are up to. So... whatcha doin'?" I ask them.

"We came to get the King Cruiser so we could bring some mermaids to the castle." Boomer said.

"No, no, no. You're not bringing mermaids to the castle. This is my first time as head of security. I'm not gonna let you two mess this up." I tell them sternly.

"Wait, you're head of security? Well, what about Roger?" Boomer inquires.

We look over to Roger who was picking his ear wax.

"Wait for it..." Brady said.

Roger then brought his pinky down to his nose and smelled it, making me grip my stomach in disgust.

"I love Roger. He makes me feel safe." Brady states.

"Seriously, no mermaids! They're evil and how powers we don't even know about. It's all in The Great Book." I tell them. "Now, where did you see them?" I ask them.

"Uh, in the water." Boomer scoffs at me. "Good thing she's pretty."

"I need to get rid of them. So where were they?" I ask again, serious as can be.

"Umm... Up the river, by the waterfall, third lagoon to the right." Boomer says.

"Thank you. Now, please, try to stay out of trouble." I warn them.

I tell them that I have my eyes on the with my hand and Brady reciprocates it by doing the same but rubbing his face and then kissing his lips, sending me a kiss and a wink.

I roll my eyes with a smile and leave to go in search of the mermaids.

-----

I start batting through vines and weeds with my sword when I come to a clearing. But instead of finding mermaids, I find Roger relaxing in a chair with earbuds in.