Chapter 3: Pity

Winter Soldiers POV

I don't know why I did it. I guess I felt connected to him. I felt obligated by my memories...well visions...whatever they were...to pull him out of the water. He seems to have saved my ass a few times so maybe that was why. I don't really remember. Everything was blurry. All I knew is that I was free. At least I hope. Whether my memories or visions meant anything I wasn't about to pursue them, at least with the help of him...whoever he really was. I just needed to sort things out by myself. Who was I? Why was I here? What had I done? Who did I hurt and why? The amount of times I seemed to have been brainwashed made me question whether anything was real or just a fantasy I had made up to comfort myself. All I did know is I had a control over myself that I feel like I haven't felt in a long time.

Walking away, leaving him breathing on the shore, I wandered into my unknown destiny, when I felt like I was missing something. Like some part of me I was leaving behind, an important part. The only place I knew where to look to hope to easy this feeling was the old Hydra base where I had just recently been brainwashed.

When I got there, the place was deserted. The doors of corner building were swinging wide opening in the wind, the air being slightly smoky from the destruction of the SHEILD tower. As I stepped in the door, an eery silence greeting me. Something led me back to the room where my worst fears became a reality. As the door creaked open, I peaked inside. My chair was empty. I glanced at the other one. A bloody thin figure of a girl, bruises covering her body, was still strapped to the chair.

For the first time I felt pity. I had never felt pity for anyone. I had killed every one in my sight and had become numb to the sight of death and suffering. But with her it was different.

Using my metal arm, I broke the metal restraints around her arms and took her limp form in my arms. As soon as I had her in my arms, I felt this unspoken pack now to protect her forever, for the rest of my life. Why I felt this, I don't know.

Her eyes suddenly fluttered open and she looked up at me. At first fear flashed across her face, but once I removed the mask her countenance softened.

"Thank you," she whispered.

I only nodded in response. Little did I know this would be the beginning of a whole new life for me. One of both love, heartbreak, fear, and shadows of both old and new.

..................

I hope you like this one so far!!!!