Chapter 4: Ice Cream and Star Wars

Y/N's POV

When I woke up, I wasn't in a chair or in a cell or even in one of those terrible empty concrete floored and walled rooms. I was actually in a bed, a real bed, for the first time in God knows how long. Everything in my body hurt, every bone and muscle. Breathing even took great effort. The room was nothing special. No pictures decorated the walls and there was only one window, dirty patched curtains blocking most of the afternoon sun from coming in. I looked around the room and it was empty except for the bed...wait...a figure sat next to me in a lone wooden chair beside the bed.

The unmistakable metal arm immediately let me recognize who it was. Terrified, I started up in bed pain screaming through my body causing me to howl in pain. He jumped up and grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Shhhhhh. It's ok. I'm not gonna hurt you. Lie back down...ok?" his voice calming me. Somehow I knew him, from where and why I knew him I have no idea, but that metal arm gave me an uneasy feeling. However when I looked into his eyes, there was a familiarity and almost bond feeling between us, and I allowed myself to trust him.

Over the next few weeks as I recovered from being tortured mentally and physically, he never left my side. Day and night he was there. There for my every beckoning call. No matter what it was or when it was he was ready to do anything for me.

Hydra's brainwashing had left us no memories of who we were or our past. Slowly though we would remember things here and there. He was actually the first one to remember anything: his name. James Buchanan Barnes, or just Bucky. He tried to tell me some strange blond haired man that he felt like he knew recognized him. How and why he had no idea.

As he began to remember things, it sparked my vigor to try to remember who I was. Y/N. No last name, or even middle. That was it. While he was getting visions of bits and pieces of his past, I was left with nothing but my name. I had no identity. No sense of belonging anywhere, except when I was with Bucky.

Over the months we grew close, both of us trying to settle into civilian life and him avoiding the authorities. We shared everything. Our dinners, our laughs, our feelings, our adventures, our fears, our thoughts, and... our hearts.

.............................................................................

"Come on, if we don't go now, we can't go at all. You know the police start patrolling the area at 10." Bucky playfully yelled at me from across the apartment.

It was 9:45 and me and Bucky had snuck out of our apartment, concealed under hats and sunglasses and his arm covered in coat and glove, to go to the corner grocery to get some ice cream. Friday nights were our traditional movie night and we preferred ice cream to popcorn.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!"

Retrieving our treasure, a huge gallon tub of cheap chocolate and vanilla ice cream to share. It had taken longer than expected and it was 10:15, and cop cars were already patrolling the streets.

Ice cream in hand we raced across the street, Bucky pulling me by my free hand into an alley just as a police car drove by. Our backs plastered to the wall side by side next to each other, I whispered out of breath, "well that was close" I could feel the flush on my cheeks not only from our mad dash here but also due to the biting cold.

Turning to look at me with his crystal eyes he whispered back, "it was fun though." He laughed the most adorable laugh and grabbed me and embraced me. He looked down into my eyes. "You make me so happy, Y/N. I don't care if we never figure out who we are, you're always gonna be mine, doll, " and he gently planted his lips on mine, creating a blissful heaven.

Noticing me shivering he picked me up and threw me on his back, piggyback style and dashed off back to the apartment.

After we had changed into our lounge clothes, we jumped into the bed to warm up, ice cream tub and two spoons in hand.

"Whatcha wanna watch?" I asked.

"Whatever you want, Doll. Weren't you telling me about this movie about space creatures with light up swords?"

"Oh, Star Wars you mean. And there called lightsabers, silly. Sure!"

As we watched Star Wars I felt this strange familiarity, like I had done this same thing with another person who had once been special to me. I tried to push those thoughts out of my head, and just focus on how safe and warm I felt snuggled up next to Bucky. He was my everything. He had been there when no one else was. And I guess I knew deep down inside that cold hard heart he loved me...maybe...even if neither of us said it.

Midway through the movie after completely devouring the whole tub of ice cream, I fell asleep laying on his chest his arms wrapped around me. I felt him stroking my hair and I thought I heard him whisper, "I love you, I'm sorry. I'll be back though"

Ignoring this I drifted off into a deep sleep dreaming of Bucky.