Uninvited Guests

Ariana's POV

I'm humming an old lullaby as I tend the garden. My adopted brother Bilbo is sitting on the bench smoking his pipe. I never knew my real family, but it does not matter. Bungo Baggins and his wife Belladonna Took, took very good care of me. And when they passed Bilbo stayed beside me. We see each other as brother and sister, even though we are not blood related. We'd die for each other.

A shadow falls over me, breaking me from my thoughts. I look up as Bilbo says a good morning to someone. I see an elderly man in grey robes with a wooden staff and pointy grey hat. Along with a long grey beard and long grey hair.

"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good on this particular morning? Or are you simply stating that this is a morning to be good on?" the man asks Bilbo.

"All of them I suppose" Bilbo tells him looking confused.

"I would of been wishing you a good morning myself" I state as I stand up wiping my hands on my apron. "Anyway, how can we help you this morning good sir?" I ask the old man politely.

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure" he tells us.

"An adventure? No, I don't imagine anyone west of Bree, would have much interest in adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner" Bilbo tells him.

"Ignore my brother, we have always longed to go on an adventure. But have no time for one" I tell the man. Bilbo collects our mail. He says good morning again and goes to go inside.

"To think that I should have lived to be good- morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door" the man grumbles.

"You knew our mother?" I ask him smiling.

"You've changed, and not entirely for the better, Bilbo Baggins. But you Ariana dear have defiantly seem to have matured greatly since last we meet" the man states. I frown in confusion, he does look familiar. But I can not place his name.

"Do we know you?" Bilbo asks him.

"Well you know my name, although you don't remember I belong to it. I'm Gandalf, and Gandalf means...me" he states. "Though Ariana was only a toddler when I last saw her" he adds.

"Not Gandalf, the wandering wizard who made such excellent fireworks? Old Took used to have them on Midsummer's Eve" Bilbo says excitedly.

"I've heard of you, thought you'd gone out of business" I state.

"And where else should I be?" Gandalf asks me and I shrug. "Well, I'm pleased to find you remember something about me, even if it's only my fireworks" he states. "Well that's decided. It'll be very good for you both, and most amusing for me. I shall inform the others" he tells us.

"Inform the who...? What...?! No! No! No, wait" Bilbo tells him as we reach the front door. "We do not want any adventures here, thank you" he tells Gandalf. He goes inside.

"I'm sorry Mr Gandalf sir, I suggest you try over the hill or...across the water. Have a good morning" I tell him sheepishly and go inside. I go wash up for lunch. "What's for dinner tonight?" I ask as we ate lunch.

"I got a lovely piece of fish from the market, I was thinking we could have that tonight" he suggests.

"Sounds good, with salad" I tell him and he nods his head.

(Dinner time)

"Looks great Ariana" Bilbo tells me with a smile as we sit at the table.

"Thank you, I try" I tell him with a smile. We are about to dig in when there is a knock at the door. "Were you expecting anyone?" I ask him and he shakes his head. "Me neither" I tell him and there is another knock.

"I'll get it, you start your dinner" he tells me. I nod my head and start to ate. As he goes to answer the door. I soon hear the door open and close. And Bilbo talking to someone.

"Who was it Bilbo?" I ask curious as I cut my fish. Just then a dwarf enters the dining room. "Oh hello, my name is Ariana Baggins" I tell him politely. But look at my brother confused. As the dwarf takes his seat.

"Dwalin, at your service lass" he says and starts to ate Bilbo's food.

"It's just that, um...we weren't expecting company" Bilbo tells him. Dwalin continues to stuff his face with Bilbo's food, there is another knock at the door.

"That'll be the door" Dwalin tells us and Bilbo goes to answer it. "This is good lass, is there anymore?" he asks me.

"Yes" I say and stand. I grab a bowl of bread rolls and place them on the table hiding one for Bilbo. An older looking dwarf with white hair enters the room with my brother.

"Evening brother" he says to Dwalin, who smiles.

"By my beard! You are shorter and wider than last we met" Dwalin states.

"Wider, not shorter" the dwarf corrects him. They both laugh, then suddenly they headbutt each other in greeting. "The name is Balin, what's your name lass?" he asks me.

"Ariana, Bilbo's little sister. Pleasure to meet you" I say with a curtsy. "You should rest, you must be tired" I tell him offering him my chair. He gives me a grateful smile and sits down. There's another knock at the door. "I'll get it this time Bilbo" I tell my brother. He nods his head and I go to the front door. I open it to be greeted by two young handsome dwarves.

"Fili" the fair haired one says.

"And Kili" says the one with dark brown hair.

"At your service Lassie" they say bowing and I giggle. Must be what dwarves call girls.

"Ariana Baggins at yours" I tell them with a curtsy. "Are you sure you have the right house?" I ask them.

"This is the house of Bilbo Baggins right?" Fili asks me.

"Yes, he is my older brother" I tell them.

"Are the others here yet?" Kili asks me.

"There are two other dwarves here already" I state.

"Excellent" Kili says with a smile as the enter the house without me inviting them in. Bilbo joins us looking confused. Fili turns to him and gives Bilbo swords wrapped cloth.

"Careful with these, I just had them sharpened" Fili tells him.

"It's nice, this place. Did you do it yourself?" Kili asks me.

"Ah no, it's been handed down through the family" I tell him. Dwalin enters the room and smiles.

"Fili, Ki­li, come on, give us a hand" he tells them. They follow him to the kitchen.

"Let's shove this in the hall, or otherwise we'll never get everyone in" Balin states gesturing to the table.

"Ev...everyone?! How many more are there?" Bilbo and I demand. Will we have enough food for everyone? What about chairs? This is why I dislike uninvited guests. They start to move the dining room table. When there's another knock at the door and I groan.

A/N

Picture above of Ariana and picture on the external link of Gandalf.