Broken Promise

Ariana's POV

Some how we managed to survive Smaug. But we angered him so much. He attacked Lake Town. But someone with a black arrow shot his weak point killing him. "What was that?" Nori asks. "What happened?" he asks.

"It fell, I saw it" Bilbo states.

"Thank heavens" I say relieved as we look at the burning lake town. I hope the others got out safely. Along with Bard and his family.

"It's dead, Smaug is dead" Bilbo declares.

"By my beard, I think he's right. Look there! The Ravens of Erebor are returning to the Mountain" Gloin says pointing to the horizon. I smile at the black birds. We had done it, we had reclaimed Erebor for the dwarves.

"Aye. Word will spread" Balin states. "Before long every soul in Middle-earth will know the dragon is dead" he declares. The others laugh happily. I just look at the burning lake town.

"You're worried about the others" Bilbo states as he joins me.

"Yes, think they got out?" I ask him.

"I'm sure they are ok and will join us soon" he assures me.

"But how many people died, because we angered Smaug?" I ask him. He sighs.

"Come on you two, we're going back inside!" Dwalin calls.

"We'll be there in a moment" I tell him. He nods his head and follows the others inside. "What are we going to do with the stone?" I ask Bilbo in a whisper.

"I don't know, keep it for now. I want to see how Thorin acts now that Smaug is dead" he states.

"Ok, but lets not tell anyone we have it" I tell him. He nods his head. "Bilbo, what about the other thing?" I ask him.

"What thing?" he asks me.

"The quest is over" I state.

"Home" he says and I nod my head. "We'll wait for now, rest. It's been a long journey" he tells me. "When the others rejoin us, we can start to plan our journey back" he states.

"Can we go through Mirkwood?" I ask him.

"Does my sister have a crush?" he asks teasingly.

"No" I say fighting back a blush. "Lets get inside" I tell him and head for the mountain. He follows me with a chuckle.

(Time skip a few days)

So Thorin is having us look for the Arkenstone. Which Bilbo has. The others haven't arrived yet and I am beginning to worry about them. Thorin has been attacking different since we came here. I worry for his sanity. Bilbo has tried talking to him, but Thorin won't listen.

Anyway I told Bilbo to take a break from his search. Which he did, but soon returns with the other four. "You all are alright, I was so worried" I state.

"So worried?" Fili asks.

"Get over yourself" I tell him with a giggle. Just then Thorin appears. He is dressed like a king, even has a crown on.

"Gold. Gold beyond measure. Beyond sorrow and grief. Behold the great treasure hoard of Thror" he says. "Welcome my sister-sons to the Kingdom of Erebor" he adds tossing Fili a ruby. Which he catches.

"Come on you lot, the others were just about to make some food. You all must be hungry" I state. They nod and I lead the way. The others greet them happily. But their reunion is soon ruined by Thorin who tells us to keep searching. "Thorin, they only just arrived. Lets eat first, then we can get back to the search" I suggest.

"No, we continue the search now" he states. The others agree and we all go to the treasure hall. Where we start a new search for the Arkenstone. But Bilbo and I sneak away to go to the balcony.

"He hasn't gotten any better" I state.

"I know" he says.

"We can't let this go on, we have to find some way to help Thorin" I tell him. He sits down with a sigh.

"I know Ariana" he tells me. "But what can we do? The stone may only make his madness worse" he states.

"I wish Gandalf was here, he'd know what to do" I state. He nods his head in agreement.

"I'm going to go speak to Balin, maybe he has some in sight to Thorin's condition" Bilbo states. I nod my head and he left me. I look out at Dale in deep thought.

(Time skip)

The people of Lake Town have taken shelter the ruins of Dale. Thorin had us block the broken wall to prevent anyone from entering. We finish the wall and Bard appears. Asking to speak to Thorin. Bilbo and I eavesdrop. "I am listening" Thorin tells Bard.

"On behalf of the people of Lake-town I ask that you honor your pledge. A share of the treasure so that they might rebuild their lives" Bard states.

"I will not treat with any man while an armed host lies before my door" Thorin tells him.

"That armed host will attack this Mountain if we do not come to terms" Bard tells him.

"And your threat do not sway me" Thorin tells him. Hardly a threat. More like a fact, guess Thranduil didn't listen when I asked him what his dead wife would want him to value more. Gems or their son.

"What of your conscience? Does it not tell you our cause is just? My people offered you help.
And in return, you brought upon them only ruin and death" Bard states.

"When did Lake-town come to our aid but for the promise of rich reward?" Thorin asks him. Hate to admit it, but Thorin does have a point there. Bard only agreed to get us into Lake town if we paid him and the Master of Lake town only gave us weapons because Thorin said he'd get a share of the treasure.

"A bargain was struck" Bard states.

"A bargain? What choice did we have but to barter our birthright for blankets and food? To ransom our future in exchange for our freedom? You call that a fair trade? Tell me Bard the Dragon-Slayer why should I honor such terms?" Thorin asks him.

"Because you gave us your word. Does that mean nothing?" Thorin asks him.

"Be gone! Ere our arrows... fly!" Thorin tells him and Bard left.

"What are you doing?" Bilbo and I demand.

"You can't go to war Thorin" I snap.

"This does not concern you" he tells us.

"Excuse me, but in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of Elves out there. Not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. We are, in fact, outnumbered" Bilbo reminds him.

"Also Bilbo gave his word also in Lake town that you'd give them a share of the treasure. You are making him break his word" I add.

"We won't be out numbered for much longer" he tells Bilbo. Ignoring my comment.

"What does that mean?" Bilbo asks him.

"It means, Master Baggins you should never underestimate Dwarves. We have reclaimed Erebor.
Now we defend it" Thorin states and goes to talk to the others.

"I'm going to Dale, you with me?" I ask Bilbo. He nods his head. We go somewhere private to plan our trip to Dale.