Joining The Company

Ariana's POV

Ariana's POV

I got up before Bilbo and see the dwarves have already left with Gandalf. They had cleaned up the house. Leaving the contract on the table. I sign it. I packed a travel bag each for Bilbo and I. Then change clothes and do my hair. I was putting on my boots when Bilbo wakes up.

"They already left, here" I say handing him the contract. "You know you want to go" I tell him as I shoulder my travel bag. He looks around our home and looks at the contract. Then signs it and I hand him his bag.

"Lets go, we don't want to lose them" he states and runs out the door. I follow him as we run through the Shire.

"Here Miss Ariana, Mr. Bilbo! Where are you both off too?" a hobbit asks as we run by his house.

"We can't stop, we're already late!" Bilbo yells.

"Late for what?" the hobbit asks.

"We're going on an adventure!" I shout. Bilbo and I continue to run. We soon see the company on ponies. Well Gandalf is on a horse. "Wait!" we shout and they slow down.

"We signed it" Bilbo states handing the contract to Balin. Who reads it over.

"Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, miss and master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield" Balin tells us. With a smile.

"Give him a pony" Thorin orders.

"No, no, no, no. That...that won't be necessary. Thank you. I'm sure I can keep up on foot. Yeah, I...I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know? Even got as far as Frog Morton once" Bilbo states.

Suddenly Fili & Kili grab hold of his arms, pick him up and place him on a pony. Making me giggle. Gandalf holds a hand out to me. I take it and hop onto his horse behind him.

The company continues on, Bilbo looking very uncomfortable on his pony. "Come on, Nori! Pay up!" a dwarf shouts. The dwarves throwing bags of money to each other.

"What's that about?" Bilbo asks Gandalf.

"Oh, they took wagers on whether or not you both would turn up together or one alone. Most of them bet that neither of you would come" Gandalf explains.

"And what did you think?" I ask him curious. Gandalf catches a bag of money.

"I never doubted you for a second, my dear" he states. I smile up at him. "We shall find you a horse" he adds. I nod my head and enjoy the scenery as we continue on.

Suddenly Bilbo sneezes."Oh, it's horse hair. Having a reaction" he grumbles. He checks his pockets for his handkerchief but can't find it. "Did you pack my handkerchief?" he asks me and I shake my head. "Stop! We have to turn around" he tells the company.

"What is it Bilbo?" Gandalf asks him as the company comes to a stop.

"Ariana forgot my handkerchief" Bilbo whines and I roll my eyes. So I forgot one thing, big deal.

Bofur rips off a put of his robe tossing it to Bilbo. "Here! Use this" he tells him.

"Move on!" Thorin orders and we do so.

"You and Ariana will have to manage without pocket handkerchiefs. A good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire. But home is now behind you both. The world is ahead" Gandalf tells us.

(Time skip)

We've set up camp for the night and I give Bilbo's pony an apple. Praising her for putting up with him all day. A wild shrieking fills the air. "What was that?" Bilbo asks as he rubs sleep from his eyes. He'd been resting.

"Orcs" Kili states.

"What are orcs?" I ask him as I sit beside Bilbo.

"Throat cutters. There'd be dozens of them out there. The low lands are crawling with them" Fili states.

"They strike, in the wee small hours, when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet, no screams. Just lots of blood" Kili explains. Bilbo looks at the pair horrified as I look at the woods below gripping the dagger Gloin had given me. As Fili and Kili chuckle.

"You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" Thorin demands.

"We didn't mean anything by it" Kili assures him.

"No you didn't. You know nothing of the world" Thorin tells him. He walks off to be alone.

"Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs" Balin tells Kili.

"How come?" I ask curious.

"After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria" Balin states. "But the enemy got there first" he adds. "Moria had been taken by legions of orcs, led by the most vile of all their race, Azog the Defiler. The giant Gundabad orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the king" he explains.

Poor Thorin, having to witness his own grandfather's death. "Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief, he went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him. A young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc" Balin explains. "He stood alone against this terrible foe. His armor rent, wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield" he states. So that's how he got the name Oakenshield.

"Azog the Defiler learned that day, that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken" Balin tells us. "Our forces rallied, and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated, but there was no feast, nor song that night for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few, had survived.  And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow, there is one I could call king" he finishes.

"And the pale orc?" I ask.

"What happened to him?" Bilbo asks.

"He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago" Thorin answers. I notice Balin share a look with Gandalf. "Get some rest all of you, I'll take first watch" he states. I lay beside Bilbo and soon fall into a dreamless sleep.

A/N

Gif above of Bilbo on a pony and pictures on the external link of the rain scene. Picture in the chapter of Ariana's outfit.