chapter 13: dog tags

authors note: if you feel like it play I Will Spend My Whole Life Loving You by Imaginary Future & Kina Grannis

(brielle pov)

March 1st, 2007

I'm turning 27 today, it's been 4 years since i've been out of hydra. ironically i was rescued on my 23rd birthday. this day is bittersweet but knowing who my boyfriend is, he's gonna try and celebrate.

(buckys pov)

waking up extra early, nervous for the day ahead, i run down stairs and get met by tony and thor already in the kitchen making breakfast.
"good morning james," tony has always called me james but his tone has been more fatherly since brielle and i became a thing.
"morning stark, thor," i nod at them and turn on the coffee pot. i hope bri wakes up soon, i want to give her my gift.

an hour or so later brielle heads down stairs, already dressed and ready for the day.
"good morning doll." she wraps her arms around me and sighs into the hug. "good morning buck." i squeeze her and kiss the top of her head, i know what today is.
"do you wanna go out for breakfast? just us?" she asks.
"as long as i'm with you, i don't care where we go." she runs upstairs and is back in an instant with her purse and shoes on.
hoping into my truck we find a diner about 45 minutes away from the compound and enjoy each other's company in silence for most of the ride.

(third person pov)

sitting in the truck, bucky's hand placed on my upper thigh, she could feel the realization of what today is hit. as if he couod sense the ball of nerves in her stomach he squeezed her thigh and moved his hand up higher. she knew exactly what he was thinking.
"buck. watch where you put your hand." she warns and he chuckles.
"it's a natural stress reliever doll. and you seem pretty stressed out." he glances at her for a second and winks. she laughs and moves his hand back down. the drive gets quiet again, both of them enjoying the occasional static on the radio and just being in each other's presence.

their lives have been pretty hectic lately. natasha and steve have come out to the group as a couple, brielle has been helping bruce in the lab, bucky and the other guys have been training hard, it seems like it has been mission after mission, they haven't been able to enjoy a moment of silence for a while. arriving to the diner, bucky beats bri to the door and they walk in hand in hand. it was just in time for breakfast, with about an hour left of the diner serving breakfast. bri orders waffles and a side of fruit and bucky orders the pancake meal: 4 pancakes, sausage, eggs, the works.

both full to the brim but satisfied, bucky pays. after arguing with bri about it being her birthday and that she shouldn't have to pay on her special day. instead of heading back to the compound right away, they explore the small town they were in and did some window shopping. occasionally going inside some small shops and looking around. bri didn't let bucky buy her anything, insisting it was a waste. he would just roll his eyes and move on, silently making a list of the things she pointed out. they found a small fountain in a foresty park and decided to sit down.
"happy birthday bri." bucky breaks the silence and hands her a small box.
"buck i said no gif- what is that?" her heart racing by the size of the box.
"well if you open it then you'll find out." he says simply, almost in a 'duh' tone. she glances up at him and takes the box. nervous as to what's inside she slowly opens it and can feel the tears sting. "james..." she whispers.

it's his dog tags. he shifts and starts to face her, piping up and saying, "this is my promise to you that no matter our ups or our downs that you are my person. i will choose you, even when you make me mad. my love for you won't fade because of anger. i know we will have our fair share of fights or arguments but i will always choose you. each day i wake up, i will choose you. i- i love you and i promise that my love for you will never fade. i've never felt this way about someone before and i never want to feel this way for anyone else." he grabs her hands and kisses them. she's balling, never knowing that he could be so good with words. he takes the chain and places it delicately around her neck, placing a soft kiss on it before he let her hair fall back over her shoulders.

the rest of their day was spent exploring and, to brielle's dismay, spoiling. bucky nearly bought everything she touched. she stopped arguing after awhile. the hellish memories that have stained her mind are slowly being washed away with memories of bucky, her new favorite human. eventually arriving back at the compound bucky had one more gift in mind. but he found his girl curled up, asleep against his truck window. chuckling to himself he picks her up and takes her inside. slowly opening the door he is welcomed by the entire Avengers team.
"SUPRI-" everyone is wearing party hats and the kitchen is covered in streamers and a happy birthday sign.
"shhhhh" bucky shushes.
"oh shit sorry." Thor whispers.
"surprise her at breakfast tomorrow, i'm sorry i kept her all day."
"no you aren't." tony mumbles.
no tony was right, bucky wasn't sorry at all. he was quite pleased with himself about how the day was spent.

authors notes: y'all tell me why i am in love bucky and i wish this was me. buckle up though cuz shit is about to hit the fan.
also the book will be in third person pov mostly from now on, it's just easier. and i might add more titles from now on.
comment and vote
xoxo