~16. Before I die 🥀

B: I want to expose the truth!!

V: Okay. How do you plan that?

B: That we'll have to think about. But first, you need to know what the truth is...

~~~~~~~~~~~

Bani began her story.

Bani's POV

'I was my dad's favorite. He loved me so much. I have two brother's as well. A brother who is older to me by six years and a twin who is also older by 2 minutes. I was the baby of the family. My mother died when I was two and I don't really remember her.'

I got lost thinking about good old days and saw Veer. He was so absorbed in my story. I had his undivided attention.

'I was so happy and was pursuing art. My happy self didn't notice the monsters around me. My elder brother became very greedy. When he found out that my nana has decided to give my mother's property to me, he became unhappy. My nana said something like 'Meri Beti ki cheeze, uski beti ko'. I held onto them as my mom's reminder but bhai was mad. He began to fight with us all the time.'

I paused. It was getting emotional for me. I looked at Veer again. He smiled in encouragement and I continued.

'Then my cancer was diagnosed. My dad and twin brother were devastated. My older brother, not so much. My dad spent everything he could to get me a cure. My dad still let me go to my art school as it made me happy. My brother used to fight him saying that he is wasting money, called me a 'dead investment'. Then one day, when I was coming home from college, earlier than usual as class had ended early, I saw my bhai mu-murder my father!'

I was sobbing now. Veer touched my shoulders for support. I leaned into him.

'He killed him. Then somehow convinced my twin that he was out of town and I was the killer. He even convinced the cook to lie. He then faked sympathy and put me in this sham of hospital. He knows I will die soon and the truth with die with me. I thought I will get better and fight. Turns out my cancer is not curable and the doctors are just getting paid to kill me faster'.

I was full blown crying now. My nose was running but I didn't care how ugly I looked. I then turned to Veer.

'Promise me, If I can't, then you'll try your best to get my story out

'Promise me, If I can't, then you'll try your best to get my story out.'

'I promise', he said and hugged me. His body was cold, probably as it was chilly outside but still, hugging him filled me with warmth. I trusted him to help me.

'But,' He said, 'I will try my best to make you see this while you are alive.'

'Then trust me I will give this all my strength before I die'

Bani's POV ends

Later that night, Veer guided her back and they replaced the medicines. Now daily, he would hide in her ward and plug out her shock treatment. She also took correct medicines but pretended to feel sick all the time so that people don't question. Veer had to leave often so that they don't question his absence and at that time, she would think of things that could be helpful.

One day, Veer rushed to her ward.

V: I have an idea Bani!

B: What?

V: Why don't we go to a real hospital. Some place where doctors have ethics. They can run tests and prove that you are not mad. They can also test the decoy medicines and prove that this hospital is a sham. Also, I found out they also sell medicines that are illegal. There was a file in the store along with a lot of other shady things. I hid it there as I couldn't risk it outside.

B: Great plan but how do we go out?

V: It is risky but tell me, is it not worth it?

B: I am dying anyways Veer. I would love to try my best but what about you. What happened to you and why are your risking everything.

V: Unlike you Bani, I was cheated by strangers and I have no one to seek help from but if I help you and we prove this hospital is a sham, maybe I will get released too.

That night, Bani and Veer took the necessary things out of the store and somehow eloped. They felt they were getting followed. Veer quickly asked her to hide behind a rock and said he'll hide in a separate place. Soon they were out. It was dark and the woods were scary but being with Veer gave Bani strength to carry on. They went to a hospital and told everything.

Police was called and it was a big affair. They had proof but the accusations were also very big. However, the medical tests proved Bani was alright. An officer came to Bani.

Officer: It was such a brave step and trust me, we'll do our best.

B: (looks at Veer who nods in encouragement) I have something else to say as well.

She told the officer her story. He heard her calmly but also had no evidence. Veer reminded her of the file and she quickly showed it to him. It had details of how her brother admitted there. They stole it from the store as well.

O: So he sent you there. He can claim that he was conned and didn't know about the hospital being such but it is a start.

V: I have a plan!!

Veer suddenly spoke up. Bani's eyes widened when she heard it but nodded. She convinced the officer.

~~~~~~~~

Vani and the police reached her estate. Her twin was home and began cursing at her. Veer held her hand for support while the officer's made him shut up. They told her story to him.

Twin: The bi*** is lying!!!

O: We'll see to that.

As per Veer's idea, they did a ghost like set-up. Her twin looked like her dad a lot so they did make-up on him and put a wound on his chest. They made him sit on a chair while Bani stood behind him. The officers were in the background, hidden. Veer was handling the ropes for eerie effect. The cook came for evening duty when the windows started to bang. He rushed to close them when his eyes went on the Bani and her twin (looked like his dad). He paled.

C: S-sir aa-aap...aap toh..

B: Mar gaye they? Haan...aur jo tumne mere saath aur mere papa ke saath kiya, mai uska badla lene aayi hoon..

C: Ba-baby ji aap bhi...aap toh aspatal me thi na..

B: Chup!!! Kuch nahi poochega tu...

C: Pr maine kahan maara apko aur apke papa ko..

B: tune hi mara hai..!!!! tere karan unhe insaaf nahi milla..

Veer kept banging the door. Her twin was getting irritated and was going to scold her when the cook confessed.

C: Maine nahi maara..chote sahab ne mara..Babyji mere bacche chote hai ..unka sochiye..mai to bs paison ke lalach me aa gaya tha..

~~~~~~~~~

Based on the cook's confession, police went after her brother. Her twin was very apologetic.

O: Ma'am apke Bhai ko hum arrest kr lenge pr vo hospital me aur kuch nahi milla jo unke crimes bataye.

Bani and Veer looked worried when Veer shouted.

V: THE STORE!

B: HAAN!! (turns to the officer) They hide everything in the store. Front racks me kuch nahi hai pr peeche ke racks me sb mill jayega...vo-

Bani couldn't finish her sentence, the words died in her mouth as she succumbed to darkness.

~~~~~~~~~

To be Continued

~

~

~

One more part to go!