{{MEaNINGLeSS!

"Anneyeonghaeseyo, I'm inspector Choi from Yongsan police. I wondered if doctor Muk was available. I have a few questions to ask her," Seung woo said at the reception.

"Ah, yé, one moment, please."

The woman grabbed the phone and called to announce him.

"You may go up her office is on the 5th floor."

"Thank you."

The doctor's office was at the end of a long corridor. As Seung Woo read on the door, Doctor Muk was a department chief.

He knocked and entered.

"Annyeonghaseyo."

The woman's appearance struck Seung Woo. He didn't expect to meet a person her age, but it was logical. Doctor Muk Soo Hae was probably in her early thirties′s at the time of the events. Now she probably walked down the road of her sixty-something. The inspector was surprised to see she was still inactivity.

"Annyeonghaseyo inspector, please take a seat."

Both Seung Woo and Se Ra sat down.

"So tell me, what brings you here?"

"Eh, I wanted to ask you a few questions about The Nation's Child," Seung Woo said while he scratched his forehead, embarrassed by his query.

"The Nation's child?" the doctor sighed as she got up to look out the office window, "why the sudden interest?" Doctor Muk was uneasy. Seung Woo wondered whether it had something to do with their presence or whatever was outside.

"We might have a few clues concerning her origins, so we are collecting the information."

Se Ra tried to keep a straight face. She wondered where Seung Woo was going with his questions. They were investigating the Stein cases. Where did the Jane Doe story fit into the picture?

Doctor Muk turned, returned to her desk, and regained her seat, "I see. What do you want to know?"

"Just tell us what you saw and how you intervened."

"I received a call around 1 pm from Songpa police station to examine a victim who was in a private room. When I arrived, I found the child handcuffed to the bed. The officers present said they had no choice. The child was violent. She gave the impression of not having lived in a society. She bit and almost stabbed a nurse. In my opinion, the child felt threatened. I asked for her to be released to do my checkup correctly, but the police refused. They treated her like an animal.

"Anyway, I started to look at her teeth, which were the hardest to check, for she tried to bite me. The x- rays showed old fractures on the head and ribs; globally, she was underweight and suffered from malnutrition. Her central incisors were gone, and her lateral incisors were there. I assumed she was between 7-8 years old though her appearance made her look like a 6-year-old. She understood everything I said."

"How do you know she understood?"

"Her eyes, depending on what I said, either widened or became like slits with anger. I don't have much to say. All they asked me to do was a checkup."

Seung Woo nodded, "did she say something?"

"She grasped an apple core, which she didn't want to let go off. The only word she said was no every time someone tried to grab the core."

"So she spoke?"

"I wouldn't qualify to place one syllable as speaking. That's all I have to say, inspector."

"Thank you, doctor; I have one more question. Did you get the impression at any moment the child was different in any way?"

"Different?"