Type: Chapter 6

On Monday, as I was taking out my shirt from the locker in the changing room, I saw Techno in my periphery eyeing my naked torso up and down. 

"Type, were you in a fight or something?" He asked with genuine concern in his voice. I look down and notice the blue and purple bruising all over my body which brought me back to that night. Realising it was probably the dancing and constant falling over, I chuckled at the memory. 

"Yes. With sobriety," I answered with a smirk. Techno's eyes widened at the implication of my words. 

"Wait, did you go drinking without me?" He asked, his tone changed to an accusatory one. I laughed at the childlike pout that followed his words. 

Since he was the only one I could actually talk to about the entire ordeal Tharn and I went through on Saturday, given that he was my only other closest friend, I proceeded to do just that. Of course, I left out the reason why we drank in the first place because it was information that wasn't mine to share. Techno seemed enthralled with the story and animatedly reacted to every turn in the tale. 

"Man, you make living in a dorm sound so fun. If I didn't live so close to the university, I would have jumped at the chance of living on campus after hearing that," Techno said. 

"Or, maybe it's because you have Tharn as a roommate. Not everyone is that lucky," he continued.

"Yeah, it's because it's Tharn," I said in agreement. He was the best roommate one could hope for. 

"Guys, do you want to go get something to eat?" Champ said, suddenly coming up from behind us. 

Champ was a new friend who had integrated himself into our friend group very naturally. He was from the same class and when he joined the football team, we started hanging out together and slowly became very good friends. The only thing you needed to please him was a plate of chicken wings, on account of his voracious appetite. Every plan with him had to include food. It was hilarious how he could turn every conversation, no matter how serious, into convincing us to go get food. He was a welcome member of our group who always kept us well fed, both with food and his hilarious absurdity. 

"Is there anything else in your life apart from food, Champ? At this point, I'm sure that if you were given the choice between dating a beautiful girl and a free bucket of chicken, you'd pick the bucket of chicken in a heartbeat," Techno said, drawing a laugh from me. 

"Of course I'd pick the bucket of chicken. I can meet girls anywhere, but how many times do you get offered a free bucket of chicken?" Champ said in a serious tone. Techno and I lost it at that, while Champ just stood there staring at us in confusion. I patted Champ's shoulder as I guided him out of the changing room. 

Champ told us about a new restaurant that opened behind our university that served Southern Thai food. I was sold.

"Man, we're over a month into our first semester and I am yet to meet any women," Techno said as he frustratedly drummed on the table while we waited for our order. 

"Yeah, I thought I'd have gone on so many dates by now. I even promised my dad to bring back a girlfriend home to meet him over the break," I said, frustrated at the situation myself. 

"I thought college would be different because we're adults now and there would be no dearth of women to date. But look at us, we haven't even met one girl. All I see around us is men," Techno sighed.

"That's because of the course you chose to take up. How many girls do you see in Sports Science?" Champ quipped nonchalantly. Techno and I both looked up at him, shocked at the fact that Champ actually had a valuable insight for the first time.