Type: Chapter 14

The warm, salty breeze blew on my face as the ferry sped through the water. It felt nice to come back home. I looked at Tharn, who was hanging off the railing to look at the edge of the ferry cutting through water, turning the water into white foam that glittered in the sun. He looked like a little kid riding a boat for the first time. I chuckled at the way he looked down at the water with so much wonder in his eyes. 

"Have you never been on a ferry before?" I asked as I walked up next to him.

"Not an open air one. I've only been in ironically stuffy, air conditioned yachts," he said.

"Of course. Why did I even have to ask, rich boy," I scoffed. 

"I much prefer this, though. I like feeling the wind on my face. It almost tastes…. salty," he said as he tried to taste the air by smacking his lips together. I started laughing at his antics.

"So, is there anything I need to keep in mind so I don't offend your parents?" He asked as he turned to look at me.

"No, nothing really. They're just your standard parents. Just act like how you act around any parents," I replied.

"I can't let them know that I'm gay, right?" He said, looking a little sad. 

"I think that's for the best. You know how I acted like an idiot when I first came to know myself. And I am a lot more open minded than the people in my hometown. My parents have never talked about gay people to me so I don't really know what they think about it themselves, but it's for our own benefit not to tell them in case they are uncomfortable because they're paying my rent. We'll let them know when I can afford rent on my own," I said apologetically. 

"I understand. It's fine. It's not like we're dating. I'd be much more dejected if my boyfriend wanted to keep me a secret from his parents, so we're good," he said as he punched the side of my arm playfully. I was a little taken aback by what he said.

"Yeah, I guess it would suck to hide it from the parents of a significant other," I said, agreeing. 

"Exactly. So it's not an issue. I'll behave myself," he said. 

"When I'm in the house," he added with a smirk which drew a laugh from me. 

-

"Mom, dad!" I called out when we reached the lobby of our resort as I saw my parents coming out to greet us. 

"This is Tharn," I said as Tharn made a wai at them. 

"My god, he looks like a movie star! Are you really friends with him?" My mom said as she ran her hands on Tharn's arm who just gave her one of his shining smiles. I saw my mother swoon which made me a little nauseous. 

"So this is the friend you're dying to move in with?" My dad said as he eyed Tharn up and down, a little miffed at my mom's reaction to him.

"Dad! I wasn't dying to move out with him. I was just dying to move out," I said, a little annoyed. Tharn and my mom laughed at my response. 

"Alright, alright! Don't be mad at me as soon as you arrive. Let's get some food for both of you. You must be hungry from the long journey," he said as he grabbed one of my bags and started walking us inside. 

"So, which room should we give to Tharn?" My dad asked my mom.

"He'll stay in my room," I said. My dad and Tharn turned their heads to look at me.

"What? We're going to be living in the same house and we've lived in the dorm together for six months already. Why open a room for him when you can save it for a paying customer?" I said.