Interlude 3

Northern Continent, the demons' stronghold, Seleid.
In this part of the world where snow incessantly falls, brick buildings were lined up.
Beyond these buildings, there was a gigantic, stone-built castle with a unique sense of intimidation-the castle of the demon lord.
It was a stronghold so intimidating that any humans would shudder just by hearing its name.
However, in truth, the one living in that place wasn't someone as terrifying as one would imagine the person holding the title of a "demon lord" would be.

The dining room of the castle was in its first floor.
Candlesticks were placed on tables and the wall, providing gentle illumination for the room.
The temperature in Seleid is extraordinarily low, but perhaps because the hearth is lit, the indoor temperature was comfortable.
In that room, there were three demons, eating with fork and knife in their hands.
There was Neigass of the Bloody Wind, Zeon of the Wisp, and-the demon lord Seatum.
The appearance of Seatum could be described as a 12-year-old human girl.
The doll-like girl was wrapped in a white dress, and her feet that were hanging because of her short stature and tall chairs she's sitting on was covered with a pair of red low heels as they swung.

Seatum: "So Neigass, how was your investigation in the research facility?"

Seatum asked Neigass as she was just about stuffing her cheeks with the meat she cut into small pieces with her knife.
The lady who was still as lightly dressed as ever stopped her food in front of her mouth as she showed a look of slight disappointment.

The Huge Goat Saute with the mushroom sauce is a delicacy loved by not only Neigass.
Especially those made by Deeza was a lot more delicious than when she made it herself.
The proper preparation doubles its juiciness, and just by biting the soft meat would squeeze out the juice of the meat.
That, combined with the mild umami and slight sourness of the sauce-let's just say it's the taste that makes you want to put it into your mouth as soon as possible.
Neigass looked forward to Deeza's meal so much that she skipped lunch, so it was obvious that she would be discouraged.

Neigass: "Muu...As expected, the oldest documents I found dates back 30 years ago. That and the beast with the core implanted into it."
Seatum: "So it's as I expected. 30 years ago, which means it was in the time during the Demon-Human war, right?"
Neigass: "Perhaps it's a program of investment built to improve their fighting strength for the war."
Seatum: "They had already conducted experiments on their own people even before the war, and this might be just another expansion of that."
Neigass: "At the last stage of the war, they even threw in children to be a part of their fighting power, didn't they."

Neigass recalled the information.
The human army was already that cruel during the war between the Humans and the Demons.
They participated in a fight they couldn't win, their morale dropped severely, and their chain of command was full of chaos.
Ultimately, knowing that demons tried to minimize casualties from the human side as well, they made a unit composed of only children and used them as humans shields.
In the end, however, they weren't able to inflict any damage, and they all retreated.

Neigass: "But it seems like ten years ago, there was an accident in the research facility, and then it couldn't be used anymore."
Seatum: "It wasn't a power humans can wield...but how did that power leak out in the first place..."
Zeon: "Isn't it 'cause of the seal getting loose, Maou-sama?"

Zeon said it as if trying to instigate something.
Seatum puffed her cheek in refutation.

Seatum: "That's not possible! There were no changes on the seal ever since I was a maiden! Besides, Deeza was with me to confirm it!"
Zeon: "Ou, ou, you don't have to be so pissed, Maou-sama."
Seatum: "Why have you been harassing with the Maou-sama Maou-sama since earlier, Nii-san!"
Zeon: "You start saying to be one of the Three Demon Generals, so I just called you accordingly."
Seatum: "Wh...I couldn't help it! I have to do it so our people can let off some steam from the resentment against humans, and it was needed to fight off the humans' heroes!"
Zeon: "No, you didn't really need to put on airs and name yourself one of the three demon generals."
Seatum: "I don't want to hear that from Nii-san who tried to look cool by extending your collars!"