Interlude 4

—The day Sarah went missing,

She was pushed back to the back end of the capital alleyway by the eyeballs and lost all means of escape.

“I’m sorry…everyone…”

What appeared like a soumatou in her mind were the people that took care of her. The nuns that took care and loved her as if she were their own child when she was two years old, and the few friends she met outside the church, including Flamm, Milkit, and even Eterna whom she had just met. Is she going to die as she is without being able to return their favor?

Before long, she recalled the figure of Ed and Johnny who died in front of her eyes. The two of them loved her like brothers. There are times when they annoyed her, but as playmates, training partners and as families…they didn’t deserve such death.

Sarah was enraged, yet even if she were to embody the power of that resentment, she still couldn’t overturn the situation at hand, only leaving her to be crushed by her own sense of powerlessness.

As she did, a gust of wind brushed her cheek, a gust that turned into a spiraling gale in an instant.

Sarah immediately covered her face with both of her hands. From the gaps between her fingers, she saw the eyeballs rise to the air before getting shredded to pieces. Not only that, she also saw a woman clad in a cloak, calmly walking towards her. The woman made a beeline towards her through the path cleared with the powerful gale and stood in front of her. Squinting slightly, the woman spoke.

“Are you okay, Sarah-chan?”

The woman’s rouge-colored lips formed a smile underneath her hood. Judging by the familiar voice, the blue skin and the deep blue hair, Sarah knew this person.

“Is that…Neigass?”

Having her name called, the woman chuckled merrily.

“Why are you here…?”

“I’m glad you remember me. I didn’t think I’d meet you here, but it seems like we’re in the same tight spot.”

“Same tight spot…are you being chased by those things too?”

“Yeah, I was just investigating the church for a bit, but this is beyond awful. At any rate, we can leave the explanation for later. We have to get out of this place first.”

Another wave of eyeballs are approaching from behind Neigass.

The woman lifts Sarah’s petite body as she used the wind covering her leg to mince the eyeballs away.”

“W-Wait, why would a demon like you save me?!”

“Why? Is there any reason not to save a girl being driven to the wall?”

“T-That’s true, but…”

“If there’s someone in need of saving, I’ll save them. I thought that’s the obvious thing to do.”

It was a sentence unthinkable of demons who ripped her hometown apart, but even in her confusion, Sarah circled her arms around Neigass’ shoulders nevertheless.

It was only several dozen minutes later when they met up with Gadio. The two searched for a place hidden from the eyeballs and went through complex alleyways. Turning corners after corners, they end up exiting to a long straight alleyway, and as they did, they heard a loud stomping noise coming from a running man clad in jet black armor. Neigass instantly put herself in a combat stance, thinking that he was an adversary, but she soon noticed the bunch of eyeballs closing in from behind him. It seemed to her that Gadio, too, had come across the dark side of the church.