24

Flamm swung her Soul Eater with all her strength
Dain staggered back as Flamm unleashed one slash after another towards Dain’s neck, but as her swings missed, her sword lets out a clashing sound as it hits the wooden floor.
Despite missing her mark, Dain is now cornered with a wall behind him, so he could no longer run.
Even if he wanted to retaliate, he shouldn’t be able to properly aim his crossbow at this distance. Unless he toss aside his main weapon and draw his short sword, he wouldn’t be able to counterattack.
Boldly and bravely, Flamm threw away the doubt that makes her falter and decided—this is it.
Dain held his buckler aloft, gripping it tightly, and as he stretched the band connected to it, a wire came shooting out.
The moment pointed end stabbed itself into the wall, it expands into a hook like a flower blooming.
Dain then pours his mana into the mechanism behind his shield, causing it to reel the wire in and pulling him away as if he’s flying.
Flamm’s blade that was supposed to cut through him went through nothing instead, and the girl immediately turned around to look behind her.
Dain aimed his crossbow towards Flamm and pulled the trigger as he was still hanging on the wall.

“That’s just one shot—!”

I’ll strike it down.
With that thought in her mind, she readied her sword.

“You’re too simple! Spread!”

That was a spell being cast.
She thought the bolt spontaneously combusts midair, but the bolt actually exploded and broke into countless fireballs, all rushing towards Flamm at once.
Knowing that she won’t be able to stave them off with just her sword, Flamm dashed sideways and rolled on the ground.
Dain used that chance and consecutively fired more bolts at her.

“Spread! Spread! SPREAD!! HAHHAHAHAH! I don’t know if it’s a curse or whatever, but do you actually think you can win against me without bringing the Hero with this much difference in strength between us!?”

Flamm desperately ran around amidst the incessant downpour of fireballs. Some of them managed to graze her shoulder, burning her clothes and caused her to bleed. It healed almost immediately, but her face still twists from the pain.
The floor caught on fire, and the smell of burnt wood quickly fills the church. At that time, Dain’s attack slacked, and Flamm wouldn’t let that chance pass.

“—AAAAAHHH!”

Flamm swung her sword through her unstable stance, sending a Prana Slash flying straight towards Dain.
However, Dain pulled another band on his buckler and his grappling hook released its grasp to the wall.

“So what!?”

Aiming for the location Dain is supposed to land, Flamm unleashed another Prana Slash.

“KUHAHAH, your thoughts are still too simple!! Explode!!1”

Dain cast another one of his Fire Attribute spells, and the explosion that burst under his foot caused him to flutter midair.
Flamm’s attack obviously missed and instead it smashed the church wall.
Without even landing back on the ground, Dain fired his grappling hook again and kept firing at Flamm as he moved quickly through the air.
Thinking he was about to cast Spread again, Flamm used her sword as a shield and got into a defensive stance.

“Moron! Burst is up next!”

The bolt he fired did not scatter. It was a spell that made the bolt explode on contact instead.
The very sound of the bolt landing next to her sent a chill up her spine, but on the other hand, Dain flashed a grin.

The bolt then reacts to the impact and exploded—or so it should.

Flamm channeled her mana through her arm and—

“REVERSAL!”

—managed to cast her spell in the nick of time.
The direction of the Burst-enchanted bolt was reversed, and the bolt flies back towards its shooter.
However, Dain had already reacted to it.
Perhaps already taking her ability into consideration, Dain released the hook without delay and landed back on the ground.
Just about a fraction of a second after he landed, there was a powerful explosion in the impact point of the bolt.