18

Sarah ran for her life.
She gnashed her teeth, holding in her nausea as she repeatedly rubbed her eyes while sniffling.
Not even knowing where she’s going or where she is, she ran with all her heart.

Someone she knew closely had just died.
No—they turned into something else; a fate worse than mere death.

Is it her fault? Is it because she asked them those questions?
She wanted to think otherwise.
Yet no thanks to the timing, she couldn’t help but to worry that it is her fault.
Furthermore, Sarah felt that she had seen those eyeballs somewhere before.
They felt similar to that ogre that she had encountered during her struggle with Flamm in that research facility.
Which means, if those eyeballs are the result of the experiment—

“There’s seems to be a secret facility below the church in the West District, and they’re doing experiments using the children from the facility down there”
“It seems like an experiment ascend to the domain of God.”

It was nothing but a vague information given how he said the word “seems”, but that information might have some truth in it.
Yet still, it wouldn’t be an answer as to why Ink and the other children’s name didn’t come up in the name register.
But to make sure that the men’s sacrifice didn’t go in vain, she needs to deliver this information to Flamm.
Firstly, she needs to go out to the road along the wall.
If she did, the main street shouldn’t be that far.
Normally it’s a place with a public safety so bad that she wouldn’t get close, but right now, if anything happens she’ll have to just smash through with her mace.
She had to focus on going through the West gate, exit the main street and run to Flamm’s house.
The girl went downhill as she calculated her escape route.

Squelch,

When she turned around—the countless eyeballs found her. They rolled on the ground, crawled up the wall, and looked down at her from the roofs.

Turning her neck, the teary-eyed girl cried, “…They took the lives of those two people…but that’s still not enough!?”

Can these eyes listen?
Knowing that these eyes are chasing her after Ed told her about the gossip, then that means they should be able to.
Hence in response to Sarah’s words of grief, the eyeballs rolled in to close their distance, as if saying  that’s right, it’s still not enough.

“AAAAAAAHHHH!!!”

Sarah shouted her anger and fear that had nowhere to go, and once again, she ran.
The eyeballs keep growing in number.
They came forth from the roofs, from inside the buildings, and even from the drainage channels.
They crawled out like swarms of insects, flooding the streets.
The street had no pedestrian traffic—it’s as if those things had known it from the start.
Sarah decided not to look back anymore, knowing if she did, there were only the scene of despair.
So all she could do is to whip her screaming legs, shut her ears so she couldn’t hear her lungs wheezing, and control her heart beating so quickly that it felt they’re about to break. She had to keep swinging her arms and run forward.
There are also some poor people living in the capital, so the closer she gets to the walls of the West District castle, the smell started to change.
The air is filled with the stench of raw garbage, but that smell brought Sarah a sense of security.
She thought that those things probably won’t chase her to a place with a lot of people.
As she exited to the wider road, she turned right in a wide arc without reducing her speed.
Her neat and tidy white robe she wore made her stand out, but she couldn’t care less about the people’s gazes.
Just in case, she continued down the street, and afterwards, she dropped her speed and turned around.

“Haa…haa…t…this…this is impossible…”

Perhaps because she was so desperately running, she couldn’t hear any voices from her surrounding.
But what she saw as she turned around was a gruesome spectacle that could be described as the scene from hell.