3: Happy New Year!

Happy New Year everyone!

So um, the second half of this chapter was written while I was really tired and it probably doesn't make any sense but anyway, Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------

While we pressed and held various buttons on our game controllers, neither of us realised that the colour of the sky was fading from an orangey grey, to midnight blue. In fact, it wasn't until when Jay peeped through the door to notify us that dinner was being served, that we actually dropped our controllers and took in our surroundings. 

            I glanced outside Louis' frosty fogged up window to see pitch black, with a few glistening stars here and there. Just when I was about to turn back towards Louis, I caught sight of a single snowflake, delicately fluttering past the pane of glass, before resting on the sill and melting away.

            I turn back to Louis, who was currently winding up the wires over the controllers so that they can neatly fit in a small box labelled 'Controllers'. The handwriting on the label appeared too feminine to belong to Louis, and judging by the state of his room, I didn't think he was very organised, so I guessed that Jay must've created the box for him. He placed the second controller in the box before our gazes turned mutual. 

            "Right, well, we should head downstairs then." he said.

            His voice wasn't as bubbly as it was when we had first met, but I suspected it was because I beat him in Fifa 5-3. He was upset about it, me being a seemingly innocent girl and all, but he kept coming up with excuses, like 'I went easy on you because I wasn't expecting you to be that good' or 'I swear they make it so Manchester United automatically play better than any other team, regardless of the skill the other player has.' The former offended me a little but I didn't say anything, instead, let a breezy laugh escape my lips.

            Louis headed towards the door and pulled back the plain piece of wood, revealing an empty hallway. 

            "After you." he said and gestured me towards the open doorway.

            I tried to play along by attempting to do a curtsey, but it didn't really have a full effect, as I wasn’t wearing a skirt or a dress. Out in the open it was cold. This part of the house mustn’t’ve been heated. I wrapped my arms around my torso as I paced down the stairs, Louis following close behind. It was much warmer downstairs, and the most likely reason behind it was the fact that there were six to seven people located there, and all the body heat plus the heater created a warm atmosphere. 

            The lounge was deserted. The only signs of life were a T.V, left on the New Year's Special programme and a magazine left open at the horoscopes section. But in the next room it was bursting with life. Six people were sat at a long narrow table while Jay entered the room, wearing two oven mitts as she carried a dish of what seemed to be lasagne, and placed it on the table.

            There were three empty seats; one was by itself and placed next to mum, so I imagined it must’ve belonged to Jay, the other two were facing opposite each other at the end of the table. The two vacant seats were right next to the burning fireplace, which would crackle every few seconds. Louis and I took our seats and began serving components of Jay's mini feast onto our plates. I glanced at the clock that's hanging just above the fire place. 7.50 it read. There were roughly four more hours left before it was officially 2010.

            It’s funny how years work. 2010 seemed like such a big number now, but by this time next year we would all have gotten used to 2010 and 2011 would appear as such a large number.