1: Moving Out

• Dedicated to Louis Tomlinson

I said this wasn't gonna be up on Christmas, which is half true, since it's Boxing Day where I am but I believe it's still Christmas in America, so I posted it at the right time. Yay!

Ok, so it's extremely pointless and unlogical to move out on Christmas but I wanted the first chapter to take place on the same date I posted it.  Everything in this story is fiction and not all of it will be realistic. Not the magic and fantasy type of unrealistic, I mean the type when characters make stupid choices or do things that wouldn't be done in real life. It's all for one reason: Plot. If they don't do these things the plot would fall to pieces.

But anyway, hope you enjoy Chapter 1, even though it is a little boring.

[JULY 2014: THIS CHAPTER WAS WRITTEN IN 2012 AND IS UNEDITED AND BAD. I promise it gets better, but theres a lot of grammatical mistakes and weird plot holes at the start so just be warned. It will be edited when I finish writing the whole book, so really soon]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

28th of December 2009, Jessica's POV

The quiet, peaceful serenity of my room was soon replaced with the sound of a spluttering truck, parking on the curb of our street.

            “Jess!” my mother called from downstairs

            The moving crew had arrived. Great. I placed my worn copy of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in one of the many cardboard boxes scattered all over my wooden floor before pacing down the stairs and into the kitchen. My mother had positioned herself by the counter, sorting out all her pastel coated cooking utensils. Just as she placed a baby pink spatula in one of the plastic containers she spoke.

            "The movers have arrived," Obviously “I need you to carry all your boxes down the stairs"

            I nodded before returning to my bedroom. I was still unsure as to why we had to move. I knew that mum received a promotion and was now head of the marketing team, but she didn't have to relocate from the large head office in Manchester to the small, junior office in Doncaster, South Yorkshire. She was given a choice after all. She could've easily decided to stay, and yet here we are moving houses without me knowing the purpose.

            But the worst part was the fact that I didn't get a say in it all. Just yesterday morning I met up with the gang; Leigh, Jade and Avery. We reminisced, shared inside jokes, consumed Jade's legendary mini pizzas and shed a few tears before I left. 

            Outside it was currently snowing lightly. It gave me a little sympathy for the moving crew. They were the only movers that could agree to help on Christmas break. So not only were they standing in the freezing cold, they' were giving up their holidays for us. But Christmas past three days ago, so luckily they  weren’t sacrificing any family time. 

            Another crazy thing mum had done was decide the worst possible time to move; the aftermath of all our Christmas festivities, when both of us were knackered beyond belief from all the organising and socialising. But she kept insisting that we move during the break so I could start at my new school fresh at the begging of term. And I guess that was a logical enough reason to shut me up.

            I got a firm grip on the first cardboard box, which happened to be full of all my paperbacks. On top I spied the Harry Potter series, along with 'Qudditch through the Ages'. One of my favourite pastimes is reading. The turning of the pages and the sight of the fine black print is almost enough to inspire me to write my own novel, but I’ve always feared it would turn out rubbish. I fished out 'Pride and Prejudice', the novel I was currently re-reading and slipped it under my arm. I would probably finish it in the one and a half hours I was on the road, as I only had 80 pages left.