11: Baggage

This chapter is ony 24 days after the last, so that's an improvement, I guess. This is my favourite chapter so far, but I know that Chapter 12 will be even better.

The picture to the side is of Louis at the age that he is in the story, so I guess he looks a bit like that. Basically forget everything I've told you about what he looks like in this story and watch the video of him in Grease. That's what he looks like. 

Hope you enjoy it!

-----------------------------------------------------

Ella soon found out about the cast list. She was excited for me. I assumed that if she had of heard I was performing alongside Louis before our shopping trip, her reaction would’ve been slightly bitterer. She herself had managed to score the role of Frenchy. I tried to mimic her excitement, but there was a minuscule part of me that was rather disappointed over the fact that she would be present for all rehearsals; disallowing any alone time between me and the brunet boy. As stupid and selfish as it sounded, I was simply just a girl with a crush.

            Over the week I found my Facebook account buzzing with friend requests. I talked to Ella and Marietta the most, occasionally receiving a hello from Ellie as well. Rehearsals commenced on Tuesday and ran three days a week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays). We spent the time learning dance routines and lyrics to the songs -- although, after watching the movie numerous times beforehand I’d basically memorised the words. It was all rather exhausting, but I somehow managed to balance school, the musical and social life over that hectic week. Louis and I had a few acting scenes together. It was difficult to find time to practice them, but on Friday night when my mother announced we were going over for dinner at the Tomlinson’s the following night, I knew it was the perfect opportunity.

            I wore the forest green polka dot dress that I bought last week with Ella. I made sure I tamed my out-of-control, just-out-of-the-shower curls by straightening them, and later using a curling wand to give them some soft, more presentable waves. As I descended the stairs I saw my mother, dressed up with her handbag over her shoulder. “You look nice.” She commented

            “Thanks.” I replied while collecting my script off the coffee table.

            It was silent for the first half of the car ride there. All that could be heard was the low hum of the engine. My mum turned to me during a traffic light, about to say something. It was just before the light turned green that she finally said what was on her mind. “You’re not all dressed up because of Louis, are you?”

            I generally loved my mum, but one thing that irritated me was her constant interest in my love life. Ever since Year 9, she’s always wanted me to have a boyfriend. I’m not sure why, considering her marriage with dad didn’t turn out well. She never really talked about dad. All she would ever say was “I left him for the better”. I never met him, but I knew he lived somewhere far away. I’m beginning to suspect that my mum’s so caught up in me finding a nice young man because she wants me to have the happily ever after that she never got. She would always whisper ‘Result!’ whenever a boy called, when more often than not they would be calling about a school project rather than a date.

            “No.” I said sternly, but mum gave me a look which suggested that she wasn’t persuaded. I sighed. “It’s a dinner party. You’re supposed to get dressed up.”

            “Yes, well, there aren’t many boys that I’ve seen you curl your hair for.” She observed as she turned into the Tomlinson’s street. It was no use trying to argue with her, so I kept quiet all the way up to the driveway.