14: In Too Deep

This chapter is 4 days after the last whattttttt

Okay so it's a bit on the racy side idk it gets a little intense (don't read this and expect smut though. It doesn't get that far) but Louis is 18 and Jess is 17 and they can do what they want.

------------------------------

I arrived home on Friday, slightly knackered from my English presentation. I collapsed onto the couch with a packet of Jammy Dodgers, the remote in my hand ready to switch to whatever afternoon soaps were running. Then I remembered what I had planned for tonight and froze.

            I was supposed to go over to Louis’.

            Ever since the discussion we had at the picnic table we hadn’t seen much of each other. Sure, we had Physics and Grease rehearsals together, but we both tended to avoid the other person. During our duets and scenes together we acted and sung like any other cast members. No more secretive glances.

            I only purposely caught sight of him once. It was after rehearsals on Thursday, when everyone was packing up and filing out the back doors. Louis and Ella had stayed behind, just like we had on Tuesday. Ella had her arms around him and was whispering something into his ear. She leaned in to kiss him, but he diverted it from lip to lip contact to lip to cheek.

            I didn’t know of the exact story behind it, but I suspected it had some relation to me.

            I caught sight of the time. It was almost four, and he told me to be there at seven. I scoffed four biscuits into my mouth, not caring about the health consequences to come. I filled up a glass of tap water and skulled, slamming it back onto the counter.

            I took a shower and tried to engulf myself in the aforementioned soap, but the love triangle between Britany, Jason and Ashleigh couldn’t distract me. In fact, it only made it worse; it reminded me of the real life love triangle I was experiencing.

            Maybe I liked to watch scripted drama on a TV screen, but in real life I did the best I could to stay clear of it. I searched for anything that would take my mind away from it all. In the end I pulled my maths textbook out of my school bag. I opened up to the chapter we were on and started solving problems. But in the time that I would be thinking of a solution and tapping my pencil on the dining room table, my mind would always uncontrollably drift off into unwanted topics.

            Mum came home at five. She turned the TV back on and crunched through some almonds while the evening news aired. I half tuned in while I continued my homework, but the nerves for tonight still remained.

            We had pesto pasta for dinner. I shovelled the penne covered in basil and pine nut sauce into my mouth at an alarming speed.

            “Slow down. You’re eating way too fast.” Mum commented. To satisfy her, I attempted to lessen my pace. But I was still far too quick in her book. “Okay, you’re either starving, or there’s something up. Which is it?” she put her fork down, ready to listen. She was good like that; didn’t put me on hold or toss me aside. I was her first priority.

            “I’m just hungry. I haven’t eaten anything since I got home from school.” I lied

            “Oh really? Care to explain those missing Jammy Dodgers?”

            There was no point keeping up the act now. I put my fork down too. I stared down at my almost empty bowl, trying to find the words. “I just,” I started, but then sighed “I’m just nervous about going over to Louis’ tonight for practice.” I explained, looking down. Two days earlier, when I’d informed mum that I would be going over to Louis’, I used the excuse that we were in need of some rehearsal time. I didn’t dare tell her about what happened outside the ice rink, or what I realised while I acted out the drive in scene on Tuesday.