8 | A Hard Choice | Jack

Hii I'm back! I know it hasn't been that that long but it feels like I haven't updated in awhile, but that's just because I stopped writing for what three, four, days haha. And I don't know when this is published, so it may be what, a week, from when the last update came, or it might happen today. We'll just have to Watch What Happens. And yes. I did watch the Broadway version yesterday. I liked it! The movie is still my favorite, but I did enjoy the musical. I could literally write a whole page (or book) about the differences between the movie and the musical and notes I have from watching both, but that's for another time. If that interests you, tell me. Okay, one last thing: I know that I put above that this chapter is from Jack's perspective, but I just need a couple snippets from David's perspective at the beginning, so that's what you guys are getting. Enjoy! :)

David

They did not just do that.

David is really mad. They took Jack. Over and over again, that thought repeats in his head. He blames himself. He thinks it's his fault. He didn't protect his friend well enough, and now they were all paying for it.

And now they don't even have the article in The Sun. Even Denton has left them. The newsies thought they knew betrayal. Not like this.

One thing is for certain, though, he tells himself. We are getting Jack back.

(A/N yeah, I don't remember exactly what happens, so I'm probably gonna leave out a lot of dialogue or replace it with/add new dialogue intentionally or unintentionally. Hopefully the same message comes across.)

Jack

Jack had always hoped to one day become important enough that Pulitzer himself would ask to him. Well, today is that day.

All he hopes now is that no one will be able to tell how hard his heart is beating. 

And that Davey and Les and the rest of them are safe.

Jack tries to prolong getting to Pulitzer as long as possible. He sees a framed picture and stops to look at it. From what he can tell, it's an old photo, of Pulitzer sitting in a chair and a young girl in his lap, the girl couldn't be much older than one or two, three would be pushing it. He wants to look at it closer--

"Jack Kelly."

He freezes. His blood runs cold.

"Come here, sit."

Surely there couldn't be a more accurate analogy than comparing this to the mouse entering the lion's cave, hoping that it won't end up in the lion's jaws.

(A/N: GUESS WHAT I found the '92 Newsies script so I'm using it as an outline and it's making me feel much better :) but I'm still gonna change some things)

Slowly, very slowly, Jack sits down. "What's up, Joe?"

Pulitzer looks at him with a cold, calculating stare. "When I was your age, boy, I was in the war. The Civil War."

"Yeah, I've heard of it," Jack responds. "Did ya win?"

"People think war is about right or wrong and not power," Pulitzer says.

"Yeah, I heard that too. I don't just sell your papes, Joe, sometimes I read them."

"Power of the press is the greatest power of them all. I tell this city how to think, how to vote. I shape it's future."