16 | New Day | David

Here I am, at 00:27/12:27 am, starting a new chapter that I have no plan for. This is supposed to be right after Jack and David's date night, then the day Race goes off to Sheepshead. I came back now at a more reasonable time. Hopefully you're reading this soon after I'm writing this right now. Plan? What plan? Enjoy! :)

David has never felt euphoria like this before.

Being with Jack...this is something new. He likes it. A lot. With Jack, he feels loved, appreciated, wanted, and more. Jack did return to the lodge though. David understands.

'But one day you will stay here,' David told Jack. 'You will.'

Jack smiled at him, amused. 'Oh yeah?'

'Yeah.'

David knows for a fact that he won't be able to sleep.

It can't be more than an hour since Jack left, but David is already counting down the time until he sees Jack tomorrow. Carrying the banner.

David smiles to himself.

It's been a wild week. But he wouldn't want it any other way.

David yawns. Surely it's past midnight. He heads down from the roof finally. He should get some sleep. The circulation bell is going to ring at the same time it always has, no matter how much sleep David has had, so he should probably try to get more than less.

If I even can sleep, David muses, crawling into bed. After tonight...I don't know if I will ever go to sleep the same way ever again. He can't stop thinking about Jack.

He still can't get over how he is now dating Jack Kelly. The crazy thing about being in love with him is knowing that he is loved back.

Eventually, David closes his eyes, with Jack gracing his mind, and falls into a deep sleep.

----------------

Bright and early in the morning, David leaves with Les (after making sure Les has eaten breakfast) to go sell papes. Hopefully he'll make it before the circulation bell starts ringing. In the distance, he hears something.

See the headline,

Newsies on a mission;

Kill the competition;

Sell the next edition,

While we're out there:

Carrying the banner through it all!

David chuckles. Only the newsies.  Do they do this every day?

To his satsifaction, the Delanceys are no where to be found this time.

Maybe it's because of when Jack soaked them up real good, David reasons. When he was a scab. But Jack's past that.

And there he is. Front and center.

David smiles.

"There's Cowboy!" Les shouts excitedly. He runs toward the group of newsboys dancing through the streets.

Jack's back is turned toward them. When he turns around, an amused smile comes up on his face when he sees Les running toward him. "Hey kid!" he laughs when Les hugs him around the waist. Then Jack looks up and sees David and his smile grows bigger.