14 | Date Night | Jack

OOOOOH LOOK AT THAT TITLE GUESS WHAT'S HAPPENING! :)

Upcoming it starts out omniscient (what I'm good at!) and there's going to be a lot of dialogue without specific speakers so come up with whoever you want, really. If that doesn't make sense, it will once you go down, what, 2-5 lines.

Finally!!!!! The strike is over! We can enjoy what happens beyond the limits of just the Newsies production. Enjoy! :)

"I don't look too bad, do I?" Jack asks frantically for what has got to be the millionth time, readjusting every article of clothing he has on, then moving on to his hair.

"Jack, I thought you said that you'se been to his house before."

"Well yeah, but this time is different."

"How so, Jack?"

"Well, last time, I only knew Davey for a day. Now it's been two days since the strike ended, and...I don't know, we'se more than friends...I think."

"We know you are, Jack."

Jack is getting ready for dinner at the Jacobs' house. David invited him yesterday. It's the second day after the strike. Race, Kid Blink, Mush, Crutchie, and more are in the lodging house, watching Jack get ready for the closest equivalent of a date two guys can get. All of them are starting to get a tad bit more than just mildly amused-annoyed at Jack and his worrying.

"I wish I still had those fancy clothes..." Jack murmurs morosely. "Then I'd have somethin' real nice to wear..."

"Davey's parents met ya before ya got fancy. Why would it matter now?"

"I wanna impress them! Show 'em I'm good enough to hang around with Davey."

"Jack, you are good enough."

"Jack, if you ain't even gonna ask him out while his parents are within hearing range, what even is all the fuss about?"

Jack sighs. "It doesn't matter. I got a plan, ya know?"

A collective groan. "We'se know."

"I go to his house," Jack goes over his plan for the hundredth time, "Davey told 'em I was comin'. I can't disappoint him or them, so I gotta be there. I'm gonna dress all nice. We're gonna eat dinner. Les and Sarah'll prolly be there, too. Anyway, after dinner, I ask Davey to come with me, tell his parents we won't be gone too long, take him to see Medda, and maybe...maybe..." he always falters at this point. Other newsies fill in what might happen.

"Maybe you confess your feelings for him."

"Maybe he says he like you too."

"Maybe he confesses first."

"Maybe you say that it is in fact a date. Davey knows you'se takin' him somewhere, but just get the words out that it's a date."

"Maybe Les will have loose lips and make you and Davey forced to explain your pining situation."

"Maybe when you take Davey out on a date, you kiss him."

"Maybe Davey'll kiss you."

"Maybe--"

"Okay, okay, I get it," Jack interrupts. He sighs. "I'm just nervous, you know?"

"We getcha, Jack," Kid Blink puts a hand on Jack's shoulder reassuringly. His other hand is holding Mush's hand. After they won, Kid Blink and Mush came out to everyone in the lodging house, and absolutely no one was surprised, nor was anyone disgusted. The newsies care for each other, because they know that if they don't, no one else will.