Chapter 9

Ishani gasped, feeling excruciating pain. It was searing, as if fire burned her. An arrow pierced her shoulder. She couldn't keep her eyes open. Her knees gave away, as she collapsed.

Though there was a huge crowd, the bastard didn't miss his aim, she thought angrily.

It was the end, she knew it. Expecting the pain to arrive, she clenched her fists.

But she was wrong. Karna rushed forward, wrapping his strong  arms around her waist. How he wanted to celebrate the first time he held her, but now was  not the time.

He pulled her towards himself, inspecting the arrow. "I'm pulling it out." He held her shoulder gently yet firmly, pulling the arrow.

She screamed in horror, the pain was a thousand times worse than the beginning. 

Krishna and the others rushed, clearing all the commoners. "The arrow is coated with Vilspa, the deadliest poison. It can kill a person in half a day." Sahadev mumbled, when Karna looked around.

His sharp ears caught the sound of a rustle. Someone was definitely there. He walked silently, like a predator.

"Ahh! Leave me!" It was a man, covered in black from top to toe. He raised a dagger, when Karna twisted his hand, catching the dagger. 

"I'll stab you repeatedly without allowing you die. You'll definitely enjoy it, won't you?" Karna's eyes were red, and his lips were curled into a sneer.

The others looked on in shock. No one had ever seen this side of Karna, he looked worse than a beast.

Arjun's eyes narrowed, seeing a slight movement behind Karna. Without a word, he shot an arrow directly, earning a groan. Karna looked at Arjuna gratefully.

He laughed, choking the man's neck. He spluttered and choked out blood, but Karna's iron like grip didn't loosen a bit. "You hurt her! She screamed in agony ! Her limbs shivered in pain ! She is such an innocent person. Why? Why her, you criminal! I'll tear your chest open if you don't answer me! Now, open your pretty mouth!" 

Seeing the man not respond, Karna without a warning, cut off his right hand. The man howled, seeing his hand fall at the feet of an unconscious Ishani. Duryodhana and the others put a hand over their mouths. 

They had seen only a part of his animalistic nature. He really treasured Ishani. 

The man gasped, as froth gushed from his mouth. His eyes stood still, and his breath stopped. Karna cursed, the man might have had poison in his mouth from the very beginning.

"Vasudev, this herb may or may not cure her, but we should try." Sahadev rubbed it over her shoulder, and waited for a few minutes. Ishani winced, shaking her finger. 

"It worked slightly, but it cannot cure the poison." Sahadev murmured when he heard Ishani's faint whisper.

"Blo.." She closed her eyes in pain. "Blood?" Sahadev asked her when she nodded weakly, pointing to her finger.

Karna rushed to her. "Ishani, are you okay? Please, don't close you eyes." He muttered frantically, tearing his Angavastram and trying it over her shoulder when Krishna stopped him. 

"Cut her finger."
"What did you say?" Karna growled loudly. All were shocked at his change; where was the silent Karna? This Karna was a beast, making them tremble.

"Some poisons can be removed when a liquid containing all essential medicines is put on. As of now, only our blood has those properties. And the poison affect each one in different ways, so only that person's blood must be used."  Krishna explained, when Karna lightly made a cut on her finger. 

Her applied the blood on her wound, before pulling out cotton and pressing lightly. Satisfied with his skills, he tied his cloth over her shoulder.

Ishani closed her eyes, feeling much better. The pain was there, but she felt herself leaning against a hard, yet smooth surface. Sleep overtook her, and her body went limp.

Karna lifted her up, walking past all the royals.

He stopped at Duryodhana, glaring at him furiously. Duryodhana gulped, staring at him in fear.

"You don't keep running behind her all the time, okay kid? Mind your business. Run behind you cousins and Hastinapur, not after her. Understood?"
"Yes." He squeaked like a timid mouse, and Karna seemed satisfied.

"Karna, bring her into my chariot. You don't need to drive." He nodded, walking with Krishna and Rukmini. 

"Jyesht, Shreeman Karna was scary." Sahadev shuddered, recollecting the way he handled the man. 

"He seemed to be a different person altogether." Yudhishthira mused, examining the dead man. 

"His cloth is muslin, found all over the world. His weapons are like those of wood, not to mention, sandalwood. His height is medium, but his build is little stout. Which Kingdoms have no dearth of muslin and sandalwood?" 

"Ayodhya, Kothistha and Gandhar." Sahadev's eyes widened, as he mumbled. Everyone got the point, and even the Kauravas nodded grimly.

"Gandhar Raj, game over. In this game of hide and seek, we've won." Yudhishthira smirked.

"I think Shreeman Karna likes Ishani. Isn't so obvious, he's always behind her, and his eyes are on her?" Nakul pointed out when Bheema chuckled.

"He loves her, but she's not aware of it. No wonder Bhrata Duryodhana got that ." Duryodhana glared; he didn't even have romantic feelings for her; he just wanted to know her more.

"Enough, come back to your senses. You can't act like a beast and scare everyone out there." Krishna spoke sternly when Karna sighed.

"You acted like a wild man." Rukmini reprimanded. "All of them will maintain a distance from you now." 

He looked down at Ishani.
" Will she do the same? Will she? " His tone was heartbreaking.
"I spent my life hearing that I was egoistic and good for nothing. Is it wrong to want that one person who'll tell you that you are sweet and kind? Maybe not to all but atleast to her, right? "

Karna sighed, realizing why a woman could be dangerous.
He was to rip his heart for her, and she wasn't even aware of that.

Meme of the day: