Chapter 18

Night, Inner Chambers

Arjun and Bheema stood before Karna, who looked like a statue, a deadly one.

"Shreeman ..."

Karna growled softly, looking at both of them.

"Begone. Your presence only fuels my rage." He cracked his knuckles to the teak chair, trying to control his beast. 

Shakuni wouldn't be spared, not atleast by him. He would tear his limbs apart and keep him alive.

Arjun sighed. " Ishani will be al..." Karna didn't allow him to complete his sentence, holding his neck in a steel grip as he was pushed to the wall. Bheema's eyes widened, trying to understand what exactly was happening. 

Arjun coughed, trying to remove his hand, but Karna only squeezed harder. " You hated her in the beginning, egoistic brat. Called her names and disrespected her. And you have the audacity to offer you dearest condolences! Fie upon your family which is so evil! The least you could do is to keep your uncle in control.."

" Karna.." Krishna's stern voice made him drop Arjuna, who sucked in a whole lot of air, wheezing for his life. 

He placed a hand on his shoulder, when Karna pushed it away. "I don't wish to be pitied at, Vasudev. Kindly understand my state of mind."

Krishna signalled the two to leave, who were more than happy to. He clutched his hand, not allowing Karna to leave. 

"Your fury is the main cause of my concern, Karna. Ishani wouldn't like it, would she? If not for us, atleast for her.."

"I hate black-mailing.. Vasudev." Karna ripped the curtains, coming face to face with the dark sky. He clenched his fists as a copper glass came into his view, Krishna holding it.

With a quick gulp, he placed the glass on the table, looking at Krishna. 

"You'll never know. I-I have been living my life as a low-caste filth, judged by the royals for daring to achieve more than them. No woman has ever dared to cross paths with me, for I was the criminal in everyone's eyes. Going against the Dharmic Empire, I wanted something which wasn't mine. But a happy life is every man's right, isn't it?"

Krishna said nothing, staring at Karna. " The universe always has its way of showing you how much it loves you.."

Karna chuckled. "Yes, it showed me indeed, by sending a goddess I never deserved. I couldn't believe I got something good in my life. And when I finally began to savour her, the universe smiled wickedly, snatching her away. Tell me, Krishna, will I lose her too? I was never afraid of losing anything, because I had nothing. Now... my heart is trying to squeeze itself, thrashing around in that merciless fear of not seeing her again.."

"She will come back.. Fate is in her favour, Karna.. There is no need to despair.."

His eyes turned dark. " Those men almost... had their way with her, and you tell me to calm down? They tried to kill her.. even after injuring her they still kept their lustful eyes on her.. AND YOU SAY IT'S ALRIGHT?"