Chapter 13

It was dark… oh so very dark, dark and cold. There it was…

Tap

Tap

Tap

"No… not again… please no!" She tried running, but her body wouldn't obey. All she could do was wait as the sound got closer. Each step filling her with nothing but cold dread.

Tap

Tap

Tap

'He's here!' She internally panicked.

"It's so dark in here, don't you think we could use some light?" He asked from behind her.

"No…" She started as the fire formed around her. "No please No!" She screamed kneeling down and putting her head to the ground. "Make it stop! Get rid of it! Don't let it near me!" She sobbed closing her eyes and clutching her hands to her head.

"What's the matter? I thought you were proud of your fire. This 'power' you wholeheartedly believed in." The man said in a calm tone.

Her eyes snapped open and she saw the flames in front of her. Lashing out at her just barely out of reach. "No more! I can't take it! Those flames are abhorrent!" She yelled clutching her head and forcing her eyes closed again.

Tap

Tap

Tap

He stopped right behind her trembling form. Silently he knelt next to her.

"So, you've finally accepted it? These flames… they give you no power. They do not make you strong. Your reliance on them makes you weak. Pathetic. You aren't strong enough to reach your goals, you're not even strong enough to defeat me… and you know something? You never will be." He whispered into her ear sending freezing chills through her body while the fire's flames burned hotter around them. "Your fire may have its uses, but it will do nothing more than consume you." He finished before she felt him leave.

Her eyes shot open. "No please!" She begged as the fire closed in on her. Closer and closer until she was once more engulfed in flames.

"NO!" She screamed sitting up covered in sweat. 'Where am I? Where is he?!' She mentally screamed as she started to hyperventilate folding in on herself.

"Cinder!" The abrupt noise caused her to jump and back away. "I'm so glad you're awake… Cinder?" A green-haired girl asked with a worried look.

In front of her was the woman she owed her life to. The strong and cunning woman who would do anything to reach her goals. Or at least it was supposed to be. In front of her was a trembling woman drenched in sweat hiding away from everything else in the room.

"The flames… the accursed flames… they're coming for me they'll devour me!" She sat mumbling to herself as she looked for any flames.

"Cinder are you alright?" Emerald asked stepping closer.

"No stay away!" She screamed crawling back away from the girl ending up in a corner of the room.