Chapter 9

With Kisame and Qrow

On the way to the Town of Ardent

The ride in the bullhead wasn't very long, but to the men riding it was taking forever. Kisame and Qrow had come up with a bet to see who could kill the most Grimm on the mission, but after the bet was made, they didn't really have anything else to say to each other, so they sat there in silence. Both of them were familiar with the isolation of silence. Qrow because he often worked and traveled alone, and Kisame because his partner was usually quiet and the whole ninja thing. That being said neither of them liked the silence.

Qrow saw the man across from him as amiable enough, but he still didn't know anything about the blue man, and his general presence gave a feeling of pressure to the very air around him. A sense of danger. Most people wouldn't notice it because if they were looking at him, they would probably already feel intimidated by the large man with an equally large sword. Qrow wasn't intimidated by the man's size because he knew that the size of a person doesn't give a good description of power, just look at his niece and her mother. Even so he couldn't help but feel the pressure the man across from him was exerting without doing anything. He was just sitting on the bench with his eyes closed, yet the pressure was still there, and through his many years of service as a huntsman he could safely say he had only felt this feeling from one individual, old Oz.

A maiden? Maybe if they were actively trying to intimidate someone. The queen's forces? The one's he had come across not even close. Even the headmasters of the other schools didn't give off this feeling. That's what worried Qrow the most. Not the fact that he exuded this pressure similar to Oz's no. What worried him is that there were two of them. His partner wasn't a flashy fighter per say and seemed to be the cloak and dagger type, but where Kisame gave off this pressure to the surrounding area, his partner did the opposite. He gave no feeling at all. On missions he would disappear and reappear as if it was just like breathing. That's what worried Qrow. The young Uchiha was definitely strong, but he didn't give off any indication of it. He was a complete mystery in terms of strength and power, and he seemed content to keep it that way. His youngest niece hanging around the two every now and again didn't help, but they seemed to be friends, and they hadn't given him any reason to think that would change, so despite his cautiousness of the two he would trust Ruby's judgement.

Kisame on the other hand wasn't really thinking about the man sitting in the cabin with him. No, he was thinking about this upcoming mission. He had learned over the years to trust his gut instinct, and he had a bad feeling about this particular mission. He wasn't worried for himself or even the man across from him. The feeling he was experiencing felt like the calm before the storm. This mission wouldn't turn out how either of them thought it would. That much he could say for certain.

"Can you feel it?" Kisame asked opening his eyes breaking the other man out of his thoughts.

"Feel what exactly?" Qrow asked wondering if they were talking about the same thing.

"The sense of foreboding in the air. Something bad is about to happen, and I'm not sure we will make it in time to stop it." Kisame said looking outside one of the windows.

Before Qrow could respond the pilot's voice came over the intercom system. "We are almost within sight of the town of Ardent and should reach our landing point shortly."

Before the intercom was turned off the muffled sound of the co-pilot was heard by the men in the cabin. Suddenly the pilot's voice came back. "There appears to be smoke coming from the direction of the town. Since this is a possible emergency situation what are your orders?" As soon as the pilot finished that Qrow and Kisame got up and ran into the pilot's area.

Qrow looked out and saw the large plumes of smoke. "You said that was in the direction of the town?" He asked the pilot who looked at the digital map nervously then towards the smoke.