X

Today was another day and we try again. That was what I was doing this Monday morning.

My father was standing beside the bed as I tried my hardest to get on my chair.

"Lemme help you Amaru ". My father said to me for probably the fifth time now, but I wasn't accepting no help until I at least tried.

"Nah, I can do it". I declined, trying the best I could. I gripped the bars of the wheelchair and slowly lifted my body up.

"You going to get hurt!". I heard my father scold me. I simply ignored him and counted to five in my head.

One

Lifting my upper body while I struggled with my legs which felt no movement.

Two

I gritted my teeth in frustration, but I kept pushing because I knew I could do it.

Three

Finally getting some type of balance, I managed to move up my body.

Four

Feeling the sweat beads forming on my forehead, I wanted to do this on my own and I knew I could.

Five

Somehow, I got enough strength and I felt myself moving. I moved to my chair and placed my feet on the pedals, so I was comfortable.

"I did it!". I mumbled to myself, a small smile gracing my lips. I felt so proud of myself. I felt I could do so much with myself. I turned my head as I heard my father applauding me.

"I did it pops". I found myself saying. He nodded and I could see the smirk on his face.

"Good job son". That definitely put a smile on my face. I was somehow getting a hold back of my normal life.

My father opened the door for me, and I wheeled myself out heading down the hallway and into the dining room where we will be having breakfast as a family as he followed behind me.

"Good morning Amaru, nice to see you!". My stepmother said to me as she laid the food on table.

"Hi Trish and nice to see you too. How was y'all trip?". I asked, taking my place at the table.

"It was good. Hope you didn't have any trouble with your father while I was away".

"You know I took good care of him".

"I know you did baby". Trish leaned over and placed a kiss on my father's lips. I grimaced because it was disgusting to watch my father get his face smooched on.

"Okay that's enough". I voiced out, seeing they were going to continue in my presence, and I didn't need that.

"Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away ". My stepmother said to me with an apologetic look on her face. She knew how I felt about PDA, especially after I've lost the mother of my child and child.

"It cool". I waved her off. I didn't want her feeling guilty for showing affection to my father. She walked out to get more food and my father turned to me.

"You aight, son?". He asked me and I nodded my head. I just had flashbacks of my love life and I questioned myself if I will ever experience that again. Better this time.

"I'm cool, don't worry about me". I told him and that was that partially truth.

"If you ever need to uhm... talk, please try and talk to me, okay?" He awkwardly said to me. I nodded my head. He wasn't a man of sentimental words, but I appreciated that he at least tried to always be vulnerable with my siblings and I.