Finding Myself In Napoli pt.10

His voice pulled me from my thoughts, “Hassan will be staying with us for a while.” Both children bulked in glee, but before they could erupt in a chorus of excited screams Luciano continued, “While Hassan is here he has a debt that needs to be repaid,” pausing to make sure they understood “he will begin work with the sentries next morning before you two wake, but he’ll be back during the day to watch over you while I attend to my usual obligations.”

Alessandra was wrapped into what her father was saying but Lucca, ever the inquisitive one, stared at me trying to figure out what this debt I needed to atone for was. I’m going to have my hands full I can tell already.

Luciano continued, “You both are not to be hassles.” He said while staring directly at the little wolf, Lucca’s only response was full teeth smile. Luciano and I knew better he was trouble down to his very core and we shared a conspirator’s laugh that soon had both children joining.

“How would you like that grand tour now? Children lead the way.” They dashed off leaving us behind to catch up. Luciano’s home was indeed massive, no doubt in his family for centuries. There were six bed chambers total. Lucca’s room was what anyone who would expect of a raucous eight year old, it looked as if a storm attacked it. Alessandra’s, the reserved one of the two children, room was exactly as I expected it. She was her father’s princess and her room was decorated for such a person. Pastel colored cloth streamed from the ceiling and in the corner of the room an easel with paint and paper.

The guest chambers were mostly barren expect for a bed and candelabras. Next was an enormous room with a stepped floor, and down the three steps in the center were an abundance of pillows for lounging. The walls are adorned in more tapestries, portraits, and sculptures in recessed shelves in the wall. This room led to a covered veranda where we all presently stood under the shade of the siding. In the distance about six kilometers was the tree line; the start of the forest. His home was impressive, but his land even more so. I spent the remaining hours at a distance watching the family go about their lives, though Lucca gave his best effort to get me more involved.

That night I retired to my quarters, which happened to be in-between both children, fore I had to rise before the sun to take up the second half of my new obligation. Walking out of temporary room I was greeted with his presence. Even in this early hour he was devastatingly handsome; his tresses flipped to one side, those soul piercing pale crystalline eyes, and his olive skin. Though his presence is always welcome I was confused as to why he was awake before the dawn when he didn’t have to be.

My confusion must’ve been clear to read fore he said, “I will escort you to your post; the grounds are still new to you.”

I followed him out through the veranda, out across his yard, and through the forest. The journey was silent, occasionally he and I would bump shoulders or our hands but no word was mentioned. I felt content in the silence and simple contact with him, but could not read him. He gave nothing away; he was stoic and assessing as and great chief should be.

In the North West corner of the forest was the sentry camp. We walked to the center were a massive fire pit was placed, and three men stood to receive us.

The men bowed, “Chief.” As they rose from their bow they acknowledged me, “Hassan.” His clipped tone belied his calm demeanor. I had no time this.

“Show Hassan the camp, get him acclimated to all aspects of sentry life.” Luciano left no room for dispute. He turned to me and lowered his voice even though we both knew the men can still hear us, we’re wolves after all. “Do not upset them, they are only showing their loyalty for an injured comrade.” I could feel myself growing angered by his words, spoken to like a petulant child. He must have felt it as well because he tentatively took hold of my wrist, “I say this for their wellbeing you’ve proved that you are more than a formidable opponent, and they need you as an ally,” turning slightly to look at him, and he released my wrist, “We need you as an ally.”

“Fine,” They are most fortunate that their chief has this unspoken hold over a part me, “You have my word.”  The commander and the two men at his side had heard and they faces showed it; they looked irritable. No doubt loathing the preponderance of them actually needing me in any capacity.

“I leave you know, I expect a report my sun down commander.” With that Luciano took leave through the forest once more.

No one spoke, no one moved. The crackling of the fire was all to be heard. It’s going to be a long day.

“Enzo and Dominic will run the perimeter with you; the dawn patrol should be in when you three arrive back. Then your education and assessment begins.”

Why do I feel like I’ve just been recruited?

“As you command, I am your clan’s lowly prisoner after all.” Sarcasm oozes from my tone and receive poorly hidden chuckles from his men. The commander growls and his men stop immediately, but I am unmoved by his show of aggression.

“Go now!” On cue Dominic and Enzo took on their second bodies; two gray wolves of great size. Enzo’s wolf had white fur along his mandible while Dominic’s had white fur at the base of his ears. It took me a moment to understand why we hadn’t started for the perimeter.

“There’s no need, I can keep pace.” When I said they shared a look and darted out of the camp and I followed suit. These two ran south at their top speed and I trailed behind marginally, close enough to reach out and pull their tails at times, till the first light peeked over the east. They slowed down a little and flanked my sides. If their side glances are anything to go by I’d say they were impressed.

We passed by four patrol groups, each had two patrolmen, along the coast the sentries remained in their human skins. We were making way back towards the amp when the two sentries on the north east guard join our run. The perimeter stretched just over fifty kilometers and the sun had just cleared the top of the trees when we arrived at camp, and it looks as if all the patrolmen were just arriving as well.

The men happily yipped, nipped, and pounced on each other as we approached the clearing. In the clearing surrounding the now extinguished fire pit stood more than one hundred wolves; a great force without question. I stood across from them in silence taking them all in, and unbeknownst to me Dominic, Enzo and one other patrolmen stood along with me.

“Join your brothers, men!” The commanders booming voice echoed through the camp. Dominic and Enzo wavered before trotting over to join their comrades, while the third wolf stood a while longer before brushing his furry head against my left deltoid and joining the two. This wolf was familiar with me.

Reverting back into their bipedal forms stood a nude Dominic, Enzo, and Armand. With a small bow of my head I acknowledge him as he has already greeted me.

“Men,” The commander begin pacing in front of his legion, “The prisoner Hassan will be one of us from this day forward.” There were snorts and a few out right growls. “The chief thinks we need him to guard and protect us!” He was a damn fool, and was trying to work his legion into frenzy. I was losing grasp on my patience with his show of disrespect.

“He who has injured not one but four of our men, and the chief’s very own regent no less!” The malice in his words is palpable. “He who dares to walk amongst us as one of us,” He was facing his men now inciting whatever anger they may hold “He deserves a fitting punishment, does he not.”

An echoing roar of concurrence was his answer, he oblivious had loyal subordinates; and Luciano asked me not to upset them the absurdity in it all.

“Enough Owen, there no need for more people to be injured!” Armand came to my defense as he, Dominic, and Enzo stood opposing their commander and most of their brothers in arms. Those who held no personal grievances remained subdued and migrated towards the back.

Facing the four of us now, “He needs to learn his place-” Before he could finish I held him by his throat, nails burrowing into his neck. I’ve had enough.