Finding Myself in Napoli pt. 21

Our day started as normally as any other. We rough housed with the kids, ate a morning meal, then we all went our separate ways.

The kids ran along with their friends and the mothers who watched them. Luciano headed off to speak with elders to finalize their clan ritual for beginning of the hunt, and afterwards would join me at the warrior's camp to settle the security. I went immediately to the camp to call the sentries to attention. When preparations were wrapping in the grand room that would hold all of us Luciano arrived, and the meeting commenced.

Looking around at all the wolves you could tell they were beyond excited. Their voracious glee was palpable, I could even feel Luciano's eagerness. Their mirth was contagious as I stood the head of the room next to Luciano.

"Tonight, is The Hunt" Luciano chuckled as he paused due to everyone's boisterous cheers, "Settle men, The Hunt will take place in the eastern and northeastern part of the territory. Three Loceros bucks are to be released at the southernmost point in the east by Armand and six other men, these beasts are powerful and they too feel the pull of the Harvest's moon. Enzo and Dominic are run them north and rejoin the hunting party, where myself and Hassan will lead The Hunt."

Luciano turned to look at me at his statement. When he did my only response was a simple shake of my head. His statement was bold and laced with a promise that I may not be able to keep. Usually the ceremony is initiated by the clan leader or leaders, if there is a mated pair, and Luciano is proclaiming to his men that I am his chosen.

However, our mating isn't completed I think as I rub my chest. The bastard, I smirk.

I continued on discussing the shifts the sentries are to take so each member can partake in The Hunt, and their positions around the entirety of the clan's land. We were to triple the sentries in the eastern land.

The men's once cheerful demeanor turned to anger and malicious intent as Luciano began discussing the precautions surrounding his ex-mate and the unaffiliated wolves.

"When she enters the territory again link me immediately, but do not try to apprehend her. Allow her access and drive her to the west away from the hunt. She is not to be killed. Her intentions need to made clear. Armand and Owen, with your men, are to block all escape routes once cornered. Enzo and Dominic are to remain with the rest of the clan in case of any surprises."

I haven't even seen this woman and all talks of her left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Once the preparations finalized the atmosphere shift from tense contemplation to frenzied anticipation. The hunt was the highlight of every Blood Harvest across all packs. Our blood lust, sexual appetites, and powers were all at their peak during the harvest, and tonight we'd revel in the last vestiges of this power.

The meeting came to a close and the men all went to their post to await tonight's events, but as everyone exited the grand room, I spotted Lucca at the entrance. I whistled to getting his attention, causing him to run over to me.

Crashing into me my Little Wolf craned his neck to look me in the face.

"Shouldn't you be with the others Little Wolf." I smiled down at him. I've truly grown fond of him and his sister, and would do anything for the both of them. Answering my question, he nods his head vigorously.

"Then why aren't you. Do you need your father?" I began to call Luciano as he had traveled across the room to speak with a couple of his men and Owen, but Lucca stopped me.

He spoke nervously, "Can we talk somewhere else..." he paused to look over at his father, "I don't want papa to hear."

Placing my hand on his shoulder I guided Lucca through a back entrance and walked through the camp grounds. We were silent the entire time, giving Lucca time to process his thoughts. I could tell he was still nervous as my hand was still on his shoulder, and as we walked he leaned into my side for some sort of comfort.

We came to a stop at a small lake nearest to his home and sat on a downed tree close to the water's edge. Gently knocking his shoulder, I prompted him to tell me what had him so pensive.

"I saw her that day in the village." He looked up at me, I guess to gauge my reaction. I simply nodded my head urging him to continue.

"She still looks the same, my mother. I think she wanted me to go to her, but I didn't want to." Lucca picked up my hand in his and began to tap at the center of my palm with his closed fist. This was something I'd seen him do numerous times with his father when we were simply lounging in their home. The action brought a smile to my face as it showed that he was truly content in my presence.

"Do you think she will return." He asked.

"She will return, I just don't know when she will return." I told him, though I do believe her grand entrance will be made tonight. I continued, "However Little Wolf, when she does return and if she truly just wants to be with her family, I will step back from your lives." I told him sadly.

"What do you mean step back. Do you not want to be with us anymore? Do you not love us?" Where I expected him to be a little saddened, Lucca was furious. "You have to stay!"

Looking down at him, I tried to remain as stoic as possible, "I will not be my decision on whether I stay or not, it will be up to your parents. Should your father want your mother to stay then I will leave."

Lucca pushed at my shoulder angrily with both hands.

"You have to fight for us. Why don't you want to be with us suocero?"

"There's nowhere I'd rather be then with you and your sister; you both have taught me a lot." I pause to run my hand over his head soothingly. "Should you two ever need me I'll always be there."

"Okay, suocero." He says as he nuzzles further into my hand.

Looking up I notice that we still have time before the Hunt. This will be Lucca's first hunt and I take the time to walk him through what to expect. He'll be around older wolves that may not be fully conscious of their action, and Lucca's standing in the clan. I advised he is to remain with his father and I in the beginning, then once the bucks are released, he is to stay with the kids his age.

Lucca and I stayed by the lake until night, then walked to where everyone would be congregating to begin tonight festivities. The entire way Lucca and played around; him trying to trip me up and push me to the ground. For the last stretch I ended up carrying him on my back as we enter the clearing. Luciano approached us immediately with Alessandra at his side.

"And where the hell have you two been." Luciano fumed.