Finding Myself In Napoli 16

The blood harvest was upon us already.

     The harvest was a right of passage for younger wolves coming into season.

     It was a clan bonding experience, and in some instances can turn a little bloody.

     The harvest came around once every ten years. The sky is painted red for three days and three nights, and during that time everything and everyone comes alive. My mind drifted off to my first blood harvest. It was magnificent. I felt my whole being for the first time.

     I was only seven years of age when I experienced my first blood harvest. I was a rambunctious thing and during the moon I was a hellion. In my old clan every blood moon we held a hunt, I made my first kill during this hunt.

     I reveled in the memory of my first hunt. The feel of my teeth sinking into the buck's neck and its blood dating down my throat.

     "We must be going," Dominic's voice broke me from my thoughts. "Luciano is waiting."

     Though I couldn't see his face, Dominic's tone betrayed his amusement. The bastard.

    Following him out of the training grounds we journey to the center of Luciano's land, to the courtyard for council meetings. In the center he stood strong and commanding. His voiced carried through the courtyard with such resonance there could have been any confusion that not only he was chief of this clan, but also he has carried this position for so time.

     Walking towards the circle formed by the members I felt the a warning sensation on my left pectoral. Rubbing absentmindedly at the heat I make brief eye contact with Luciano, and he gives me the faintest of smirks.    

     At the forefront he stood garnishing a chieftains robe loosely tied at his center, with one arm through the sleeve, black trousers, and hate chested. He looked every bit a power leader.

   We went over strategy, Harvest planning, and sentry schedules, but for majority of the meeting I remained quiet. Disinterested in what some men had to say, only paying attention when a question was directed towards me. Luciano would glance my direction and cast scolding looks as I grew increasingly bored of sitting here. I'd rather play babysitter.

     As the gathering drew to a close I stood and stretched my limbs. Feeling the warning sensation on my left pectoral again, a pair of arms snaked themselves around my middle. Coming to stand in front of me Luciano gave me a chastising look, "Does clan politics bore you."

     "In its entirety I'm afraid." I said as a rebellious smirk made its way into my face. "You left before day break"

     "I didn't know you would care so much." Now it was his turn to smirk at me.

     "It was merely an observation. I hold no claim to you."

     Still wrapped around each other I could've sworn I heard him say 'yet' under his breath.

     Through the forest we heard the jubilant cries of the children in the distance. Dislodging myself from Luciano, the children come rushing through the treeline and straight for us. Catching Lucca and putting him on my shoulders, as Luciano places Alessandra on his hip as the other children gather around us.

     As we spent time with the children playing around and rough housing, until one of the older adolescents nipped at my heel. Staring down at the sandy pup, I to morph into my more natural state of being. The pup and I tumble around until I have him pinned under me as the little yips, and playfully swipe at my muzzle.

     Just then I am knocked on my side. Staring up at a great white wolf that has a wicked glint in his eyes. Luciano wants to play. Growling as I stood, I  pounced on Luciano, and snap at his neck. We continue on like this, playfully snapping and pushing each other around, until I concede and he's atop me licking my muzzle.

     I wouldn't want the adult tribe members to think any less of him. I am after all stronger than he is.

     In our natural states Luciano and I venture towards the edge of the clearing to a shades area, and lie down next to each other. Myself at the forefront and he behind me, with his head on my middle.

     I'd lost track of time and it would seem he did as well, until abruptly he shot up and darted through the forest. Looking back to the clearing the children aren't there, so dart off after him. Through the forest Luciano blazes a trail to a destination I know not of. He speed is formidable, not even I could keep pace as I bring up the rear.

     Whatever it was that has him in such a panicked haste was starting to concern me. I felt a certain trepidation, but I knew it wasn't my own.  I couldn't communicate my concern with him as my wolf  was not apart of this tribe, nor do we have a blood bond.

     We make it to the northeast border of his territory to be greeted with a sentry unit and shift back instantly. We both try to ascertain what happen.

     Walking over to one of the best trackers I ask, "I need a full summation of what transpired ."

     "We were doing our rounds we came across a faint scent of three unaffiliated wolves. We tracked them to this border from the West. From where the children gather."

   Why watch the children. There were causalities, or any sign of potential malicious intent. I was missing something. As I was going to regroup with Luciano I see he talking to one of the  sentry captains, as his back is to me. As I approached I hear the captain.

     "I can not be certain it's been so long since I last was in her ​presence​, but it was familiar."

Luciano inquired almost desperately, "What of the two other scents, were they the same. I always that she was..."

     Upon seeing me approached Luciano ended the conversation and told the sentry to report to him at change of duty. Strange to say the least, but ignore it. Standing directly in front of him now I go to rest my hand on his shoulder to offer comfort, but he withdrew from my touch.

     "I need to get back to check on my children."

     With a nod of my head he takes off into the forest again. I survey the area on last time, and find fleeting glances from some of the sentries. They knew something I didn't.

     In the depths of my being I felt the conjuring of a foreboding feeling. This ought to be interesting.