Finding Myself in Napoli chapter 8

When the word punishment was uttered I thought of one I would quite enjoy at his hands, but the somber tone to his voice derailed my thoughts. Staring intently at Luciano I didn’t see a hint of humor. What he said next puzzled me:

“You’re returning with us.”

With possible outcomes of what consequences ruminating in my fogged mind I watch Luciano. He now speaks with Durante and commands his men to take the injured back home for healing. I couldn’t hear anything. Their lips moved but I heard nothing, my focus solely on the actions of him. The stoic chieftain of his man is not a side I have been acquainted with yet. He wore this persona like a glove; no break in character when addressing me and no outward displays of grievance.

His back towards me I notice the minuscule details in his posture. His body is tense; back rigid and shoulders squared. His stance is wide as his arms hang – motionless – at his side. He turns and walks nearer to me. Those of us not as our wolves stood naked. My eyes trail his form: starting with his disheveled hair, to his grim contours of his face lingering on his eyes, and hen down the curve of his thick neck and hard pectorals.

            Journeying further down his tight stomach I watch, entranced by the movement of the muscles as he walks; their alternating yet rhythmic movements. Before I could continue my observation he reached me. Standing directly in front of my eyes locked onto my own, unwavering, he spoke.

            “We’re moving out.”

            Looking around I see he men carrying the injured towards their home, but three men stayed behind. I figure they were to assist in escorting the captive. Returning my gaze back to Luciano:

            “Shall we?”

Dare I say one side of his lips quirked in a smirk? Not thinking he would respond to my quip:

“Of course, after you.” His eyes glinted with mischief.

Everyone was silent during trek back to their home was quite. Though we were silent, the forest had come alive after the battle; the nocturnal creatures spurred with activity. As we walked fallen leaves crackled under our feet. The men accompanying us were on guard yet, oddly enough, at ease. Dawn was upon us when we arrived, first light illuminated the sky in a fresh orange.

In the same clearing that the clan held its festivities I could see a crowd gathering, low dubious murmurs of why this assembly had been called and who had been the cause of the attacks. Luciano and I stood behind the three men obstructing the crowd’s view of us, but once the men stepped aside revealing their leader and I an eerie silence swept through the assemblage. The temperament amongst the people was slowly changing; I could almost feel the mix of emotions emitting from the crowd, from fear and awe, to outright anger.

Luciano stepped forward, no words uttered, face a blank mask of confident authority. As he continued forward the crowd parted, watching their leader lithely walk ahead and onto a platform, standing above everyone.

Eyes searching and assessing, before holding my own for a moment, he began.

“This morning I bring to you Hassan.” All eyes were back on me. At his words the seed of anger began to sprout. I am not livestock to be had by rabid animals. “He is the reason why four of my men, four of your brothers, lay injured and broken. He alone is the cause for this morning’s gathering.”

The crowd stood shocked, some with wide eyes and mouths slightly agape.

“Three of this clans best fighters and its regent defeated by a single wolf, impossible!”

“He needs to be punished!”

“Why is allowed to walk around freely, put him in chains!”

“Punish him!”

“They will have their reckoning!”

Their voices merged into one incoherent uproar. All of the wolves were calling for me to receive some form of punishment; to be locked away and tortured, and with the spotting of the unaffiliated wolves roaming their territory they had reason to be nervous of one wolf who could take down four of their best.

“Silence!” Luciano commanded of the crowd, “Hassan step forward.”

Looking only at Luciano’s face I walk through the sea of sneering faces. I felt betrayed. I felt that he was going to give his people what they wanted, my head. Staring into his eyes gave no truth to his intentions for me. I must have misinterpreted our interactions with one another.

Standing adjacent to Luciano, I look out at the faces, my expression composed.

Luciano continued, “As penalty for battling and injuring members of this clan you, Hassan, will become a sentry to this clan and personal escort to my children and me.”

Once again the crowd erupts in shock and awe. Questioning his judgment on sparing my life and whether he trusts me to not only guard his people, but his children as well. I confess that I was just as surprised as those who shout in anger. I turn my head slightly to look at this man as he addresses the assembly again.

Cutting through the noise like a “My decision is final.”

A female member of the clan spoke out again, “Luciano, how can you trust him with our safety not to mention your children’s.” As she finished her eyes drifted towards me, and she shrank under my gaze. The audacity this woman had, to question the safety of his children in my presences. I felt a hand, his hand, on my arm. The contact broke me from the rage that was building; the seed now thorny vines that grow along with my anger.

“Hassan can be trusted and you will trust him with your life. After all, he now guards this entire clan.” Luciano spoke, irritation seeping through that mask of his.

Another member spoke up, asking a question I had yet to think on. “Where will he stay?”

There was a lull before Luciano answer, and when he did the crowd went into another frenzy. “He will stay with my children and me, in our villa.” I was very much enthused about the prospect of getting Luciano alone behind a closed door. “Hassan will be living amongst us, fighting with us, and protecting us, it will serve best when addressing him that you do so by his name. Hassan.”

Facing Luciano fully, I was most incredulous of the tone in which he spoke; almost defending me. These were his kinsmen and I am an outside, their caution towards me is justified. After all was it not for my interest in and respect for this man his warriors would be dead, and not injured.

He didn’t turn to meet my gaze, but I knew he felt it. He continued to address concerns and random accusations.

With a note of finality, “Next morning, Hassan’s duty to you all will begin. He will start convoys with four other sentries and tracking of the unaffiliated wolves, but for now Hassan will fulfill his personal duty to my children and I. Now disband and enjoy the sun.” 

And so it begins.