Chapter 1

The taxi leaves, speeding away from the street as quickly as possible. I can't blame the driver.
I stand alone in the roughest part of the city. The area is known for gang activity and quirk altering drugs.
Pulling out my phone, I walk to the address.

The building looks empty and abandoned. I double check the address, making sure I was in the right place.
This is Kurugiri's bar.
I saw an ad posted online that they needed help. With the job, they offered housing and food, all expensive covered. I would have to be crazy to pass up a piece of cake job like this.

I knock on the old wooden door. "Hello? Mister Kurugiri?"
I hear voices coming from inside before everything becomes hushed.
The door handle moves, realizing a dark, smokey figure.
"You must be Miss Ray," the man states. He extends his hand to me and I take it politely.
"Nice to meet you, sir," I say with a soft smile.
"Come on in, my dear," he says, opening the door for me to enter.
I step into the building.
There is a small bar area fit with stools and TVs hanging from the walls. A pool table is pushed to the corner of the room.
The place looks dead and abandoned.

I sit down beside Kurugiri at the bar as he slides papers over to me.
"To accept the position, we just need to confirm that you are indeed willing to serve," he explains, gesturing to the papers.
I study them quietly for a moment. They look like legal documents saying "this establishment is not responsible for death or harm caused to employees" and "sigh here to confirm that you are who you say you are and in your right, conscious mind".
I've never seen applications so complex and intimidating before.
Kurugiri must have noticed my concern. He touches my hand softly.
"If you do not wish to except, nothing will be held against you. This position can be difficult. The," he hesitates for a moment. "Customers can be a bit much sometimes."
I chuckle softly. "I'm not worried about them. It just sounds like a lot of unnecessary legal terms. How hard can this be?"
I sign the papers and push them over to him.
"Hmmm," he mumbles, looking through them to make sure I answered all the questions. "Very well. Come along, I will show you to your room."