27. Alone.

Chapter 27: Alone.

"How was New York?" Tobias asks me as I stuff my face with fries.

"New Yorky." I reply, wiping my mouth.

"Did you see the ball drop?" He asks me.

"Yup." I tell him, tossing the paper plate in the trashcan. I wash my hands and dry it with the napkin on the sink.

"I'm going to the salon today. Wanna come with?" He asks me.

"Yes please. I miss my brown hair, I am so sick of being blonde." I groan.

"Wait, you're not a natural blonde?" Tobias asks, shocked.

"No. Did you think I was?" I ask him, chuckling.

"Duh. The dye job looks so convincing." He tells me.

"Well, say goodbye to blonde Valarie because she is never coming back." I say, putting my boots on.

Tobias wears his jacket and grabs his key.

"Let's go." He says, hooking his arm with mine.

***

"Ouu, your hair is so damaged." Lorenzo, the hairstylist tells me.

"It is?" I ask him.

"Yup, but I'll fix it. That's my job." He says, chuckling.

I nod and let out a sigh of relief.

I start scrolling through my Instagram feed and I see a picture of Alicia and Spencer. Alicia is laughing at something Spencer said as he stares at her with love in his eyes.

Good for them.

"So, Valarie?" Tobias says, as the barber starts cutting his hair.

"Huh?" I answer, turning my head as I stare at him.

"Wanna go to a party tonight?" He asks me.

"Nope. It's movie night with Amir." I tell him and he groans.

"Ditch the boyfriend, come party with me." He pleas.

"No. And besides I don't rain on your parade when you go out with Imogene." I tell him as Lorenzo tilts my head toward as he sections my hair.

"Yeah about that?" He says, trailing off.

"What did you do?" I ask him as I stare at him with judging eyes.

"Nothing." He says and I roll my eyes. "No, seriously. For the first time, a relationship ending wasn't my fault." He adds.

"What went down?" I ask him as I fold my arms.

"She went to Korea to spend Christmas and New Year's with her family. On New Year's Eve she tells me that she reconnected with her ex and she's still in love with him." He tells me and I pout as I stare at him.

Damn.

"Are you okay, Tobe?" I ask him, genuinely concerned.

Breaking up with someone is bad enough, but having them tell you they still love their ex? That's even worse.

"I mean-" He pauses and lets out a sigh.
"She was everything to me. I really liked her, loved her even. It's sad, but shit happens." He says, shrugging.

"I'm glad you're taking this so well." I say, smiling at him.

"Okay, time to bleach your hair." Lorenzo tells me as he taps my shoulder. I stand up from my chair and follow him to the dyeing station of the salon.