Epilogue

Epilogue

"Tobias I swear to God, I will skin you alive." I shout as I chase him around his apartment.

I'm moving in with Riley and Tobias today. I spend five days out of the seven in a week here. And they are my best friends, it's going to be a blast.

"It's just a bra. Calm your tits." He says before he puts it on.

"You're so annoying." I tell him, chuckling.

"When does Riley get back?" I ask him, picking up a box filled with my things.

"Around eight." He tells me, taking the cardboard box from my hands.

"Great." I say, letting out a deep breath.

"You wanna go get some food?" Tobias asks me, but I shake my head.

"Can't. I have to practice for Nationals. It's in two days." I inform him.

"I know that. And Riley and I will be in New York cheering you on." He says, wrapping his arms around me from behind as he envelopes me in a hug.

"Thank you. Now, get off of me." I say, pushing him.

"Loser." He says and I smack him behind the head.

"I'll see you later, Tobe." I tell him, grabbing my gym bag. before I head out of the apartment.

It takes me ten minutes to reach the dance studio. I place my bag on the floor, there's no one here.

I'm not late, so where is everybody?

"Surprise." I hear as I turn around.

I see the girls holding balloons with the letters "Thank You" on it.

"Guys, what is going on?" I ask them.

"We just wanted to thank you for getting us to Nationals." Rebecca says and I shrug.

"What? Me?" I say, brushing her off.

"Don't be so modest now, Vee." She says, handing me a balloon.

"I'm not being modest, I just don't think that I had anything to do with this. I mean, I was late most of the time, never knew any of the routines, fractured my ankle practicing said routines. I am a terrible captain and I don't deserve any form of praise. You guys got to Nationals on your own." I tell them.

"My mind hasn't been in cheer for a while now, but you guys were able to scale through regionals without my help and now you made it to Nationals also without my help, so I think the people that should be getting praised are you girls." I tell them.

"You may be right about that Valarie, but you're still cheer captain and whether you believe it or not, you made this happen. Now, let's talk about our shuttle to New York." She says as the girls sit on the floor listening to her.

***

"You are going to knock 'em dead, Vee." Camila says, fixing my hair.

"You don't know that. And besides it's tomorrow, a lot can change in twenty four hours." I tell her, staring at the vanity mirror in her dorm room.

"Nothing's going to change. We're gonna get our asses on that bus and we are going to kill it tomorrow." She says and I shake my head.

"I'm quitting after this, you know that right?" I inform her.

"No, you're not." She says, folding her arms as she stares at me through the mirror.

"Look, being a cheerleader isn't my plan for my life." I tell her.