36. Friends.

Chapter 36: Friends.

Zachary insisted on treating me to breakfast in this fancy restaurant uptown. I have to say, I'm enjoying myself.

"Oh, come on." Zachary groans, hitting his palm on the wooden table.

"It's true." I say, chuckling.

"Out of ten, I'm a six?" He asks, popping his eyes out in disbelief.

"Yes. I mean you're not ugly, you're just not my type anymore." I tell him and he gasps.

"You're so mean. I-" He starts but is interrupted by his ringing phone.
He answers the phone and I look away, trying my best not to eavesdrop on his conversation. I pick at the olive on my plate as Zachary starts raising his voice.

"It doesn't matter." He yells into his phone. "I can hang out with whoever I want to." He says, raising his voice higher and I just cough.

This is awkward.

"It's not about her, Heather. I'll see you when I get back." He says before he hangs up.

"Is everything okay?" I ask Zachary as he places his cell phone on the table.

"It's just Heather being Heather." He says, chuckling trying to hide his true emotion.

"We didn't have to do this. I mean you have a girlfriend, you should get back to New York. I'm sorry I held you up." I tell him, sliding out of the booth.

"Valarie, come on don't be like that." Zachary says behind me as I start walking to the door of the diner. I walk outside, hurrying to my car.

"Why are you acting like this?" Zachary asks, grabbing my arm. His grip on my arm a little too tight.

"Because, it's weird okay. God, it's weird. I've always been in love with you. We've never been just friends." I tell him and he smirks.

"Are you in love with me right now?" He asks and I roll my eyes.

"Puhlease, that ship has sailed." I tell him and he laughs.

"You see. We can do this." He says pointing in between us.

"Maybe." I say, tucking a strand of my hair behind my head.

"You wanna go back inside?" He asks me, referring to the diner.

"Nope, I'm pretty full." I tell him and he nods.

"I'm gonna go pay for our meal." He says before he walks back into the diner. I open my car door and I sit inside waiting for Zachary.

***

"Big day today, ladies." I tell the girls as they do their stretches.

Today is regionals and I feel like the girls are ready. Even though I've been a trashy captain, they still made it to regionals so I guess I did a good job.

"We're gonna kill it." Vanessa says, super pumped.

"They won't know what hit 'em." I say and the girls laugh.

"Hey guys." Camila says as she walks in.

"Hey, you." I say, before I hug her.

"How does it feel?" I ask Camila and she giggles.

"Bittersweet. This is the last time I'll perform with the squad. After this it's a whole lotta school work and then boom graduation." She says, looking down.

"Well, that's a good thing., You've paid your dues, Cam. Soak it all in." I tell her, patting her back.

"Ladies, we're on in fifteen. I need everyone ready in five minutes, so that we can go over the routine again." Estoban says as he walks in.