1. New

Chapter 1: New.

"We need to leave right now." Riley tells me as she picks up her binder from her desk.

If you're wondering who Riley is, she's my roommate. Who also happens to be a Journalism major like me. We both got here a week early before lectures started.

"I'm literally done. I just need to grab my headphones." I tell her as I stuff my headphones in my backpack.

Today is my first day of college.

We head out the door and walk toward the Journalism 101 building.

The breeze literally hits my face like a whirlwind and my hair is completely ruined now.

Way to go, Chicago.

I came to Bradford a week before lectures started because I wanted to get used to the campus first before my first lesson. And I have to say Bradford is pretty cool. The people here are really friendly and nice.

Riley starts rambling about how she hates walking to class but I tune her out as we keep walking.

We finally get to the building and I sit in the middle row while Riley heads straight to the backseat. A tall blonde man greets us as we enter the classroom. We're the only ones here.

Great, I'm already giving off that weird nerdy vibe on my first day. The class fills in as time passes by and I just stare at the board as Mr. Cummings, yes that's his real name, scribbles something on the board.

I check my phone and I see that Hannah has sent me a message. I click on it and I see a photo of Hannah eating a pretzel.

She's definitely having more fun than me. I haven't found any place to eat or even chill yet. Riley and I spent the whole of last week settling in and studying the environment.

Class ends fifteen minutes early due to the orientation that is being held at the school auditorium today. I am somewhat grateful that class is over because if I had to hear Professor Cummings say the word "Journal" again, I would have killed myself.

"What are you gonna wear?" Riley asks me as she takes her top off and starts going through her closet.

"What I'm currently wearing. We're already ten minutes late because you made us come back to our dorm." I tell her.

"I'd rather be fashionably late than look basic and arrive early." She says as she puts on a cheetah print shirt.

"Do I look cute?" She asks me as she stares at herself in the mirror.

"I don't care. Let's go." I say as I head for the door.

"Way to be excited about it." She says, sarcasm clear in her tone.

"I hate being late, you know that." I tell her as we walk down the hallway.

"I know, I know." She says, putting her arm around me.

"Is Nolan coming?" I ask her and she shakes her head.

"No. We're meeting him and some of his friends at this diner after." She tells me as we walk out of the building.

We walk towards the auditorium which is in the big building in the middle of the campus, which I was completely stunned by when I first got here.

"Hey guys." Tobias says as he walks beside us as we head towards the building.

Tobias is Riley's friend. She introduced me to him when I got here. He's really cool and incredibly gay. He didn't have to tell me I just knew it. He's a fashion major and I have to say, dude is hella stylish.