16. Sun.

Chapter 16: Sun.

Zachary's POV

"HENDERSON CATCH THAT BALL!!!" Coach Jackson orders.

I chase the ball and I grunt as I catch it before I hit the green grass. I land on my shoulder, it stings now.

"Much better, Henderson." He says staring at me with a displeased face.

Nothing I ever do is good enough for this man. I thought playing football professionally would be easier since my head was in one space.

Boy, was I wrong.

"Okay, boys. Rest up. Tommorow we'll do tyres." He says and the whole team groans.

"Good job, newbie." Derrell Sanders says, patting my back. The fact that I'm on the same team as him is so surreal. I've looked up to him since I was six years old. He was drafted when he was sixteen. He's definitely my biggest inspiration when it comes to this sport. So, being on the same team with him is a dream come true.

I head to the showers in the training center. I peel my geer off of my body before I enter the shower. Letting the hot water untie the knots in my back.

Damn, I'm beat.

Minutes later, I am placing my training bag in the backseat of my black G-Wagon. Yes, I changed my car. It was a gift from my Dad for getting drafted. I get inside the driver's seat and I reverse out of the parking lot.
My stomach grumbles and I groan. I haven't eaten anything all day. I was too busy training. Taking a left turn as I leave the parking lot, I remember this diner I always pass by on my way here. I'm gonna go check it out and try some food.

The drive there is short as the building is only three minutes away from the New York Jets training center. Turning off my car, I grab the keys and I get out of the car. I walk to the front door of the diner, pushing the glass door, I walk inside. The restaurant smelled like ranch dressing for some reason.

"Good morning, welcome to Burger town. What would you like to eat?" A brunette waitress asks me when I'm seated at a booth.

I sigh before picking up the work out menu in front of me, I barely glance through it before I order the first meal on it. The waitress writes my order on her notepad. I expect her to leave, but she doesn't instead she just stares at me.

"What?" I ask her harshly.

"What would you like to drink?" She asks me.

"Water." I say, faking a smile for her.

She sucks her teeth and walks away.

I take my phone out of the front pocket of the leather jacket I'm wearing. I have a text from Talia.

"Dinner at eight. Don't forget." The text reads.

I let out a frustrated sigh. Why do I have to keep doing this? I can't stand Talia at all, I'm only with her so that I can "get my name out there". At least those were the words my team publicist used. Since I was new to the professional football scene, I needed to "cause some buzz". So, Andrew, my teams publicist, told me about this plan with Talia. He said that he had spoken to Talia's manager already and that all I had to do was pretend to date her. But now Talia's not acting anymore. I think she's really interested in me.

Well, that's too bad for her because the only person I've loved and will ever love is Valarie. And I know she's probably hates me now, but I don't care.

"Here's your order." The waitress says before she places the tray in front of me.

"Thank you." I mumble under my breath.