Recalling the Past

The hour would come to an end and Nuyun would call for a switch, Astrid going to her sword again and Randy to his spear. They would both use the sparring mat when the other finished their respective kills. Astrid would use her sword, moving more freely about the mat and Randy would learn how to control his spear better. With instruction from Nuyun, he would learn how to spear a target from a high advantage, an average advantage, and a low advantage.

The cycle continued as they two began to switch once more. The process continued two more times before Nuyun would call it a day, asking one of the two to take a break as he went one-on-one with the other.

First up was Astrid and her sword training. She held it with one hand, Nuyun carrying his with only one as well. She'd swing her blade from Nuyun's right side, the blade sitting out in front of her at an angle in order to help prevent any openings for Nuyun. However, Nuyun's own blade would stop hers, keeping her frozen in position. She could do one of two moves, slide down the blade and scrape Nuyun's knuckles or lift up and swig to the right of Nuyun.

However, in an attempt to confuse Nuyun, she would begin to slide down his blade, making him think she was going for his exposed knuckles. However, at the last second, she would lift her blade up and bring it up and around to the other side of Nuyun. The blade itself was now facing him once more on his left side as she cut in diagonally into his torso. To avoid hitting him, she would stop when her blade touched him, moving back into a defensive position.

"Very good, Astrid. The other tributes will be watching as you fight with the holos, so keep that in mind as you train without me." He would bow to her in respect before having her swap out with Randy. He could either do his spear or his axe. Preferring his spear, he'd pick the one he had been using, moving to where Astrid was on the platform.

Nuyun still held his sword in hand, getting into a defensive position. He would once again ask Randy to come at him, Randy planning out his moves carefully. With both hands gripped tightly on the pole, he'd begin to slowly circle Nuyun, trying to find an opening. He would raise the tip of his spear up into the sky, giving off a more offensive position as he got closer to Nuyun. He would take this as a warning and beat at Randy's spear, hoping that the spearhead itself was no longer threatening him.

Randy held tightly to his spear, not letting Nuyun's hits get the best of him. Randy moved his spear from where it was down to a lower position, performing a circling motion as he cut along Nuyun's waist. And like Astrid, he would do his best not to injure his mentor. Nuyun's instant reaction would be to knock at Randy's spear once more with his blade, causing Randy to move his spear back and away from Nuyun. However, with Nuyun's hit at his spear, Randy would swiftly move the spearhead to Nuyun's head, lightly tapping him on the side.

"And a good job to you as well, Randy. Now, let's clean up. We have another day of training tomorrow, and I'm sure Layla will want to hear about our exciting day." He'd help Astrid and Randy pick things up. Putting away any weapons back onto the walls, refreshing the targets and clearing away any history with the holograms. A knock would come to the door and a Peacekeeper would be standing there, ready to take the three back out of the building like earlier when they arrived.

As they left the training room, Nuyun looked at the different training rooms that were now empty. Some had several untidy areas, while some had barely any difference to them at all. The training rooms for Districts 1,2, and 4 had a similar setup. Weapons piled in the center like during the Games. It was also shown that the training rooms were altered to look like past year's arenas and their conditions as much as they possibly could. Holograms lay on the floors and made-up landings as the program hadn't been shut off yet. It was a familiar sight to Nuyun, for he has seen the same sight every year since he became a mentor.