Start of the Games

The hours were ticking away when Astrid and Randy were to be sent to kill others for public sport. It wasn't pretty, but it was set as a reminder of a failed rebellion no one remembers. As the night dragged on, Astrid eventually came to the conclusion to silently slip away from everyone. She left her empty glass sitting on the table, hoping the alcohol would help ease her nerves. In a way, it did, and it easily brought her to a peaceful night's rest.

On the other hand, Randy barely touched his drink. Back home he only shared beverages like this with his lover. However, they both agreed to stop when they made another secret promise to one another. That they'll only share a drink with one another when they are standing at the altar away from the Capitol's prying eyes. With that final thought, he gently placed his glass down and saw goodbye to everyone before heading to his room for what felt like the last time.

He didn't know how long the Games would last, and he was worried it would be a short run for him. But he did make a promise with Astrid to fight with her until the very end. He had a drive that everyone knew about, and she had a promise that fueled that drive she and Randy shared. They both fell asleep the night before unaware of the events that were to happen the next day.

The next morning arose with a hazy fog that fell over the Capitol. With the sun beating through the fog, the morning sky made the area seem quiet despite it being the first day of the Hunger Games. Astrid woke up, seeing the three articles of clothing in her closet, a single suit made of thin cloth that resembled her outfit that she and Randy wore during practice. There was also a pair of pants of the material that was attached to the suit made of the same material. She also saw hanging on top of the suit was a light jacket with her district number printed on the back. Sitting on her bathroom sink was the rose gold lip piercing she had worn at other events. It was a sort of token being a part of her team. However, she would choose not to put it in for this final event.

She got dressed, tying her hair into the same side braid that fell down the left side of her chest. The light jacket that paired with the suit gave the outfit a bit more rustic look, perhaps it was to help her during the cold nights. But it didn't matter at that moment when she left her bedroom, greeting Nuyun in the entryway to the apartment. He nodded, remembering the time he wore a similar outfit on the day he went into the Games.

He helped her into the elevator, the both of them silent. It was best that way, for neither one knew what to discuss while on the way to the helipad. The car ride over was just as quiet as the elevator down. Nuyun didn't know how to talk to Astrid, and she didn't know what to say to him. She wanted to remain hopeful that she would see her mentor again after the Games.

The car drove to an airport at the edge of the Capitol, where a single aircraft sat. Nuyun helped Astrid out of the car and escorted her to the aircraft. The two boarded, being the only two in the aircraft. A woman in a white uniform held a clipboard and an altered injection tool. The moment Astrid sat down, the woman approached her.

"Let me see your forearm." Astrid glanced over at Nuyun, and all he did was nod solemnly, letting her know it was alright. Astrid showed her arm to the woman, the tool pressing up against her exposed skin. Sharp pain moved through her arm as the woman pressed a button, something large entering Astrid's arm. Once the process was done, the woman in the uniform left the two alone in the room. Astrid quickly looked at her arm, looking for any puncture marks or cuts.

"It's a tracker. That's how the Gamemaker and their assistants can keep track of the tributes throughout the arena." As he spoke, he would pull back the sleeve of his shirt, revealing a long, yet deep scar along his forearm in the same position where Astrid's tracker was injected.

"I was able to take mine out after five years." The plane would lift off, Astrid and Nuyun sitting in silence once more. While Astrid was on her way to the base of the arena, Randy was just getting up and getting ready. He would be given the same uniform as Astrid, the thin suit, pants, and jacket. He looked at himself long and hard in his bathroom mirror before leaving, meeting Layla in the entry like Astrid did with Nuyun.