Leaving Normality

The announcer woman signaled towards four Peacekeepers nearby, two them them standing by Astrid and two standing by Randy. The pairs escorted Astrid and Randy into the town hall behind them, everyone else being left to disperse back to their homes where they waited for the event to officially begin. Each tribute was allowed a few minutes to talk to their families while inside the building. They sat in empty office rooms, each tribute given their own privacy. Astrid didn't have anybody who cared enough to see her, so she sat in silence the entire time. Randy, on the other hand, had a lover named Eteran, who loved him deeply. Their romance was forbidden throughout Panem, but that didn't stop them from secretly getting married.

Eteran had the same colored hair as Randy did, and the two shared kind words of romance and support. Eteran felt upset and angered that Randy was brought into the Games, but could either one of them do? The Reaping was a process that was inevitable.

"You have to promise me, Randy. Fight for your life, and fight for our love." Eteran had tears in his brown eyes that were now falling down his cheeks. Randy was the same, tears falling down his own as he embraced his lover for what felt like the last time.

"I promise, my dear Eteran. Watch for me in the Games." Time was running out and the two had to depart for now. Astrid was met with two Peacekeepers, Randy soon meeting the same sight. The two would be escorted to the tribute train that sat nearby at the station. The woman from before greeted them in the main car as the train smoothly took off. Both tributes were devastated, for they were leaving all that they knew behind. The woman with her curly silver hair approached the two.

"How lucky you two are! The train here is provided by the Capitol, of course. All exclusive treatment, and proper environments for the two of you. I know this may seem like a bad thing, but in time, you two will eventually see that this is beneficial for all of us. Now, let me go fetch your mentor, he's around here somewhere. Feel free to make yourselves at home." She smiled once more, leaving the car. Astrid stood in silence, taking in everything around her. Everything was truly exclusive. Polished silver, gourmet food, and the finest beverages the Capitol could offer. 

Randy walked over to a nearby window, staring in amazement as the environment moved past in a blur. He had never seen anything like this, living in District 6 all of his life. The forest of District 6 was only a blur while on the train, but it still was an incredible sight to witness.

"You would think we would feel the movement of the train with how fast we are moving, but I barely feel anything. How about you?" His bright blue eyes shone with curiosity and excitement as he turned his attention back towards Astrid, who was still very unfamiliar with everything.

She shrugged, looking up at him, "I don't feel a thing."

Her voice was soft, her tone hinting at the uncertainty that lay inside her mind. She would approach the same window Randy was at, entranced by the moving scenery like he was. But their moment of awe was cut short when a man entered their car. His long silver hair was tied back into a loose ponytail. He wore a formal outfit, his black pants matching the black shoes he wore. He had on a silver button-down shirt with a black vest on top of that. His sleeves were rolled up and cuffed neatly, revealing the pale and scarred arms underneath.

"I am your mentor, Nuyun Kasamatsu. The pleasure is all mine. I am sure you must have questions about what will happen in the next coming days. So, why don't we share a meal and talk? District 6 doesn't really have that kind of cuisine, so feel free to eat what you'd like." He motioned with his hand a table nearby that had several types of food and beverages the two had never seen before. Unique meats sat steaming on the platters, fruit was arranged in elegant ways and the water looked crisp and filtered.