Hey There, Delilah (22)

I sighed as I walked through the hallway, so tired that I almost passed out right there. We were at the theater for so long; people kept asking us questions about how long we had been singing or if we were a real couple. When people asked me questions about that, my face had been so red that they probably thought I was lying when I said we weren't a couple. But now that I had admitted to myself and realized that I did, in fact, like River, I got so embarrassed when someone talked about us being together. And that happened a lot at the theater.

"You sang really well today," River told me, smirking a little when he saw how tired I was.

"You did, too," I yawned, rubbing my eyes. "I never knew that you could sing. Let alone sing so amazingly."

River shrugged, and he was about to say something until we both stopped abruptly in front of my door. To no big surprise, there was a note taped to my door. River reached for it, but I snatched it before he could.

"Let me see it," he demanded, reaching for it.

"No!" I cried, hiding it behind my back. I didn't want him looking at it until I did; what if it said something that I didn't want him to see?

"Delilah--"

"Let me read it first... okay?" I asked, trying to look as innocent as possible as I looked up at him. I smiled slightly, hoping that he would let me read it before him. I mean, the note was meant for me, right? I should be able to just read it and not let him anywhere near it. But I knew he wouldn't let me do that.

"Fine," River said, dropping his hand to his side. "Read it."

With shaky hands, I unfolded the note and looked down at it, letting out a shaky breath as I read it.

   Hey There, Delilah,

  Your voice is so amazing. Better than I can remember, even though I've only heard it once before. But I didn't like how you looked at River when you were on stage. But I shouldn't be very worried. Who could possibly ever love an emo, anyway?

It wasn't signed, and it was in cursive once again. I wonder when he would be writing in the messy scrawl again. Maybe he preferred writing in cursive or something. I wish I knew. I just wish I knew who this guy was.

I knew I wouldn't want River to read it after what it said about him being emo, so I slowly folded the note back up. "Delilah," River said. "Let me read it."

"No," I answered stubbornly, turning away from him.

He stepped closer to me, but I moved out of the way before he could reach for the note again. "Delilah!"

"River--" But before I could say anymore, he lunged for the note and snatched it out of my hands. I tried to grab it back, but he lifted his arm and held it over his head.

Curse him for being taller than me.

"What does it say?" he asked, looking down at me as the note was still above his head. My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to think of an excuse that would make River not read the note. But what was I supposed to say?

"It doesn't say anything," I lied, jumping up and trying to snatch the note from his grasp. But I failed, of course.

River looked down at me, his eyebrows raised. "Don't lie to me. What does it say?"

He probably thought it was something horrible, like what my stalker would do to me if we were stuck in a room together, alone. But I just didn't want River's feelings to get hurt. He had been through enough pain that day, not mentioning his entire life.