Hey There, Delilah (39)

So many memories flashed through my head then. Everything that had happened between Rex and me, everything that had happened between Seth and me, and especially everything that happened between River and me. Was I ever going to forget about any of those? I was sure that I wasn’t going to. I loved them all, I loved Bentwood, and I wanted to remember those memories forever.

I had kissed Rex, Seth, Avery, River, and Gabe. All of them. When had I gone from the girl that never had a boyfriend to the girl that kissed five guys that weren’t even her boyfriend? Avery had been, but Seth had only been my fake one. River was my boyfriend, and we were in love with each other, but both Gabe and Rex pretty much forced me to kiss them.

It felt so long ago when Rex had kissed me in my room. It had been a long time, since it happened over winter break. It didn’t even feel like I had gone out with Avery anymore, and it didn’t feel like I pretended to go out with Seth. It didn’t even feel like I had kissed any of the boys besides River, which was all that I needed. I didn’t need anyone else to kiss but River.

As I continued to get even more lost in my thoughts, it seemed like there wasn’t anyone around me anymore. It was like I was all by myself, and I wasn’t even on the phone anymore. It was like I was absolutely, positively by myself, and no one was around.

“Delilah? Delilah? Are you still there?” I fuzzily heard Ms. Vierra say on the other line. “Are you okay?”

“I--I’m fine,” I stuttered, still in absolute shock from what she had said. “I’m just… surprised, is all.”

“Well, is your mother with you?” Ms. Vierra now asked me, and I quickly glanced at my mother, who was looking at me with a confused look on her face. I didn’t really blame her, the way I was acting was kind of weird. I’d be looking at me weirdly, too, if I was her. “I’d like to tell her what’s going to be happening.”

I nodded slowly, and then realized that she couldn’t see me. “Um… okay,” I answered now, standing up from my seat next to River and quickly walking over to my mother. I extended my arm toward my mother, my phone in my hand as I pushed it toward her. “It’s my old teacher. She wants to tell you something.”

My mother continued to look at me in confusion, along with everyone else that was in the room right then. As my mother pressed my phone against her ear, Jake entered the room with his idiotic band mates right behind him. Of course they were here, too.

“Ooh, Jake’s hot sister!” one of them, whose name I actually couldn’t even remember, called out when he entered, winking at me. Now that I thought about it, I didn’t even know any of their names. Which was kind of stupid since they were usually over at my house pretty much every single day.

“Will you stop calling me that? It’s getting annoying,” I scoffed, waving my hand at them uncaringly and heading back toward my spot next to River, who looked very jealous right then. I rolled my eyes, plopping down next to him and snuggling into his side a little, my way of telling him to calm down.

He seemed to relax and ignore Jake’s idiotic friends, who wolf whistled once they saw River kiss the top of my head. Rolling my eyes again, I almost flipped them off, but thought otherwise as my mother shut my phone and placed it on the table.

The room grew silent, but my mom was smiling. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking, which really annoyed me. I couldn’t tell if what she was going to say was good or bad, but I really hoped that it was going to be good. If she told me I couldn’t go or something, I didn’t know how upset I was going to be.

“You can go.”

This definitely shocked me, and confused everyone else in the room. My three cousins were even silent, which was a big shocker. They normally never shut up, but now that they were obviously confused, they were silent. It was just so weird.