For a Fleeting Second

Merfolk hated lagoons. That was a well known fact, considering those areas of water were clear and easy to spot them in, could trap one in far too easily for George's liking, and were so shallow in some places that there was no room for anyone's tail.

They were, however, areas full of magic, which naturally would attract any creature of the night.

George's pod was currently staying several miles out of the coast of Dry Waters Island, some of the safest waters known for merkind for years. Here and there a passing ship could be seen overhead, but not many hunters, if any at all. This was mainly due to the nature of the abandoned location. While magic drew in merfolk, it drew away Humans. Unless they had a specific target for going there, or their attention to their surroundings was immeasurable, it would be very easy to just simply...veer a bit to the right, or maybe the left, or perhaps turn around altogether, regarding the island.

Karl had been to the surface twice. Aunt Niki had been to the surface four times. His mother had been to the surface once. George had never been to the surface.

Sure, he'd love to just..pop his head above the water, and sit there endlessly and gaze upon the new sight, or even just for a fleeting second, but that was unrealistic. Firstly, his pod strictly forbade that, and even shoaling was heavily, heavily discouraged. Secondly, George wasn't one much for too much rebellion. Sure, he had his streaks from time to time, but when it came down to things he tried to follow the rules layed down by his ancestors. Thirdly, the surface was dangerous. Every mer knew that. Only the most daring would risk a peak at the world above, and George wasn't exactly the most courageous merman alive.

The closest George had ever gotten to breaking the surface was once, when he had been 17. The pod was in danger, that night- and it was clear enough that he could remember it like yesterday.

Unfortunate circumstances had led to all 19 of them (at the time) to be surrounded by hunters in shallow waters. Shallow waters deep enough for ships to slice through their home, but short enough that no mer was able to swim down to escape the harpoons and nets and chains the hunters threw.

The group was ordered to swim as fast as possible, to outrun the ships, if they could get past them in the first place. So George took a chance while he could, swimming dangerously high, and sticking one, single hand up, to feel the cool breeze.

It ran through his fingers like the water did, but less fluidly. He could feel the resistance more, the pressure it created as the wind slowed against his barrier of a hand. The water was faster, calmer, deeper, so when they all reached open waters, he dove.

Three of his family were lost that night.

That had easily sparked his fear of shallow waters.

The one problem, was that George was a warrior. Out of their pod, 17 mer total now, 3 were elders, 4 were children, 4 adults who spent their time taking care of the pod, and the last 6, including himself, hunted and protected them.

He was part of the warriors soley because he was strong, young, and had common sense. Karl would have been with him, however had opted to teach and take care of the young. He was planning to become a warrior in a few years, however, and George waited for the day he could share his job with his best friend.

Today they were out to hunt once again, and in shorter waters than he would have liked. He stomached it though, knowing they'd be safe.

They were split off into two groups, on opposite sides of the island, each off catching fish on their own. George had caught one large tuna, and when pulling his claws away licked the blueish-green blood that coated them off carefully. He rested for a moment, watching as his two partners went on their own chase.

And that's when everything went to hell.

George heard a shout, and upon looking up realized the nature of it. A massive shadow, cast across the sea floor they swam by, made by none other than a human ship. It was dark in color, but brighter in tone than the ones he was familiar with seeing, the shipwrecks, rotten and aged beneath the water. After the initial shock of seeing the unfamiliar object, he watched as a net was throw into the water, right above his companion. He gasped, but sighed gratefully when he managed to slip away before his fins got caught in the tangled mess of rope.

The three of them there at the time found each other, only George grasping onto his tuna. He debated ditching it, but figured it was light enough it wouldn't hinder his swimming. They called out, cries only known by merfolk, and after a minute of swimming, trying to escape the black shadowy blanket, they caught up with the others.

Had there been just a few more of them, had the ship been smaller, maybe they could have taken it down like so many flabbergasted fishermen in the open waters, but this one was far too powerful. Its speed doubled any normal sailors, the masts billowing in the wind as George could see above him far more than any normal sail.

And then he was stuck. He couldn't swim any further, and for a moment, he wasn't quite sure why. That was before the knotted grid fell over his face, too. He peered through the many holes, eyes wide as he began to thrash about in the net. He called back to his podmates, and they all paused, turning back to try and yank the black rope away. It was no use.

He screeched, flipping around and around, tangling himself and the skirt he wore further into the object, until suddenly it was freezing. Colder than his own waters. He stopped for a moment, until suddenly his heart dropped. He looked down, only to find the water gone, it's rough waves crashing against the side of the boat currently taking him.

He clawed his way through the black, but to no avail. His breathing got shallower, gills struggling for something, anything to breathe in. It was no use, he hadn't used his lungs in years, them failing to kick in by pure instinct, and he saw spots, and he saw cold, and he saw faces and he saw the fish he held coming to life and he saw the wind mocking him,

and he saw the darkness.

-----

Word Count: 1124
Date: 04/05/21

Author here- idk, I'm proud of this chapter but I also feel like I didn't do the end justice. We'll see I guess :/ As always, votes and comments are appreciated :D