And you're afraid of water?

George had grown used to the fish, either cooked or raw, but always cleaned and skinned.

However, Dream's 'personal deliveries' of whole meals came more and more frequently, and although he didn't know why, he was grateful.

Another thing George was sure he was grateful for, was the fact that they hadn't done anything to or with him yet. But with each passing day, he could tell something was wrong on the crew members' faces- and they were growing desperate.

Up until yesterday. The black and white haired one had a sort of dazed look on his face, as if he'd just been told he was another species without realizing it or something. Well, George hadn't even seen that expression until he'd been woken from his sleep.

He'd been taking a nap. Normally, he'd have been awake at that time ready to fill his stomach with much needed sustenance, but after a late night discussion on what types of coral were best suited for decoration with Foolish (and Minx's two cents chipped in here and there), he'd taken the opportunity to catch up on all the rest he needed.

By the time the sun's peak rolled around, a tapping on the side of his tank made him jump up in surprise. He caught an amused glance by Quackity, but ignored it easily.

Water made it's escape from the tank during the episode, and continued to ripple as he righted his position to be more comfortable.

And at that, the land-walker flinched. George stopped for a moment, watching his actions as he jumped back, wiping his arm vigorously against his clothing. He narrowed his eyes in suspicion and curiosity, cocking his head to the side.

The man had decided to ignore what he'd done, and as he help out the plate with fish for George to take, the mer hesitated.

"You are afraid of water?" He questioned, his accent coming out through English.

The boy narrowed his eyes in suspicion, but mostly fright. Stammering, he managed to find some words to reply. "Wh- I- no- why would you- i- I'm not.. no, I'm not afraid of- of uh..water, why would you say that? That's n-"

George cut him off. "Yeah right."

"No, no no no, I'm just..uhh, I was just surprised. That..that you did that."

George raised a brow, pinning him under a knowing stare.

"I shouldn't even be talking to you.." He muttered under his breath, but George continued.

"Why are you on the ship if you have fear of the water?" George grabbed the fish.

After deep hesitation, an inner battle with himself, and some blank words left from his mouth, he finally decided on indulging the merman.

"It's like..breaking the rules."

George cocked his head to the side questioningly, and the boy continued.

"Have you ever done something just because it's risky? Or dangerous? It's like that. A fear, that- that burns with a passion of it's own, and you have no choice but to follow it. Because you see your own passion in the fire. You just..."

He trailed off, and George felt so captivated by his words' message that he had to pry further. "You just what?"

"You just know that it was what you were meant to do. And even if you don't want to do it, you have no choice, because it's part of you. It starts with risk, and then...then regret, and then the realization that you should do it anyway, because you can."

The boy stood for a moment there, but soon continued on to feed the other 3 mer in the room, and left without another word.

George sat stunned the rest of the night, partially due to the fact that his mind had no other ideas to latch onto and ponder over, but also because the boy was right. It had never crossed him how much of a pattern his fears followed; not only that, but he resonated with the words in a whole other sense. A sense that it was inevitable he would have been caught, because his passion for the overworld was so great he had no choice to long for it.

And that meant the moon goddess would let him live, and he would have a purpose here. The question was, what?

—————

Word Count: 721
Date: 24/06/21

Okay listen. It's been like 3 weeks or whatever but HEAR ME OUT. Writers block.

Anyway, have this, semi-plot related, ig, eh, idk, I kinda just spitballed it. It sucks, I know, you don't need to tell me. BYEEEE