Sea Silk and Striking Smiles

One thing George was used to was the muted colors of the world. It was a well known fact that it wasn't uncommon for merfolk to be colorblind. In fact, most southern mer such as him carried the trait well, and as a result the majority of his pod had it.

The only mer he'd ever met not to be colorblind, was Aunt Niki. That is, until today.

Dream had given Foolish the materials needed to craft mer fabric.

The pirate captain had been reluctant, but after weeks in captivity, the bubbly mer had won him over with the idea. If they had no use for the mer, put the mer to use.

Foolish had been moved to a slightly larger tank, and while a spark of jealousy left George, he couldn't help shadow it with further curiosity. He watched the man work, and it seemed the other two were just as invested in the situation.

Foolish was humming to himself, speaking under his breath as he thought of new ideas. It was as though the creative part of his mind had been unleashed for the very first time, and it was a sight to watch.

"Hmm, I've been thinking of doing a cross stitch when it comes to the kelp instead, but a traditional l'manberg weave is much simpler... I'll have to stick to that at least for the sea silk. Maybe I can ask for some green dye, and I could patch up my skirt..." He muttered to himself the whole time, until he suddenly felt the others' stares on him.

"Oh- sorry, am I being too loud?" Ignoring his previous question, he continued. "You know I could patch up your guys' skirts too!" He let out a little giggle, one that faintly reminded George of Karl's laugh.

But as he was tuning in to the conversation, one thing stuck out to him.

"You can see color?"

"Yeah! My family doesn't have the colorblind curse, as we like to call it."

"So, your skirt is green, not yellow?"

"Sea kelp green mixed with Emerald Green!" He had a wide smile, clearly very eager to share his passion.

"Woah!" He looked around, and Quackity and Minx each shot him a gaze that seemed amused.

"What?" He asked in response to the silence, and Minx only chuckled.

After that quick conversation, George had learned Minx's tail was in fact bright purple as he had suspected, and the rest of Foolish's outfit matched the description of the contents of a treasure chest. Gold and shiny, with a few colored jewels highlighting it.

The mer all watched as Foolish carried on, very obviously in his element.

-----

"Toe the line, everyone!" Dream shouted across the ship, and soon enough everyone on board was gathered around him top deck.

Of course nobody bothered taking the phrase to heart, and while no-one stood in a formal line, the crew knew each other well enough that as long as they heard whatever it was Dream had to say, things were fine.

Some were excited, Tommy, in particular, while others were a bit skeptical. After the events occuring a few months ago, nobody wanted to expect more than the worst of news.

Dream's mask was pulled all the way down today, and as a result, no-one could gauge the level of excitement needed for this particular announcement.

Sapnap took his side, and the two stood with some unknown knowledge ready to be handed out to the rest of them.

The two glanced at each other, a silent exchange lasting no more than a second before Dream starts.

"Alright boys. Things have been tough lately, I know." Everyone sucked in a breath, bracing themselves for whatever is coming- but it doesn't.

"However, I think I've found a solution, and at the very least, a break."

Sam immediately cut him off, a hopeful, yet skeptical look on his face. "A solution?"

Ant joined in, agreeing easily with Sam's query.
"Yeah, what do you mean? How in the Gods' names are we going to save Bad? If you haven't found a 'solution' up until now," making quotation marks as he spoke, "what makes you think this will work?"

"What even is this..solution?" Sam continued.

Dream smirked beneath the mask, and after letting the silence sit for a moment of suspense, he looked over the rest of the crew carefully, gauging everyone's reaction, noting the disapproving stares and eager ones alike.

"We're going to find Merlin's treasure."

-----

Word Count: 749
Date: 03/06/21

AHEM. Let's see how short I can make this author's note..place your bets now ladies and gentlemen.

HKEVRMAGA Y'ALL WTF WE'RE AT 2.5K CHEESUS CRUST anyway *straightens non-existent tie* Sorry it's been so long 😭 updates will probably continue to be as infrequent as they currently are. Originally this chapter was a little different but then I got some ideas, so uh..have some..semi-plot?

Now let's talk mc champio- No. No. NO. I am restraining myself. I will not mention the a- no. OKAY GOODB-

Edit: forgot to mention this hit #69 on dnf at one point

Edit: HFJAGS I ALSO COMPLETELY FORGOT TO SAY HAPPY PRIDE MONTH Y'ALL