Let the Moon Fly

vii

Intuition. Wisdom. Protection.

Dream had always known fear. Even now, Dream knew fear. Especially now. But for him to shy away from something completely, to truly be called a coward, he'd only done that once in his life. He'd only done that when he was a young, foolish child, and even now he suffered those consequences.

Even now, he kept that lie going. Dream was a coward.

Despite this, he pressed on.

In this moment, he pressed on. No matter how vulnerable, or how exposed he felt, he took another breath, knowing full well he was being put to the test by some millennia old dude named Merlin for Neptune's sake.

Dream was glowing.

Well, glowing might be an overstatement, but one might say he shined brighter, emitted light, something that shouldn't be possible by any normal living being.

This, of course, attracted some attention. The other 3 mer, who had been asleep, were now staring at him with a blend of confusion, interest, and most notably, alarm.

It wasn't long before the quiet gave in, and an obvious chorus of perplexity drummed above them. A mere 10 moments later, Sapnap came rushing down the wooden steps.

A wide-eyed reaction was justified. "Dream- what the fuck is going on? What was that?"

Dream stared back, a little shocked himself.

"What was that light? You're fucking glowing or some shit dude, care to explain what just happened?" Sapnap continued.

Dream snapped out of his own daze eventually, but in lieu of responding, he chose to look down.

Not only was Dream glowing, but one of his pockets gave off a faint hum and gleam of it's own. The captain reached for its contents, coming up with a sole compass, one he bore with him at all times, and happened to be rather fond of after its continued use.

The compass matched Dream.

But its glow revealed something more to it than it did him.

The needle, sharp and faded poppy, spun uncontrollably, deciding only to settle when Dream had too. So Dream watched, waited, and the others caught on. When all was still again, save for the deck of worry above, the compass slowed, slowed, and slowed to a stop.

It slowed to a stop, pointing in a direction that was not north.

vii

Perfection. Freedom. Eternity.

George read the spell.

George read the spell, out loud, like a fool.

An absolute, fucking fool.

To be fair, how was he supposed to know it would actually work?

In all likelihood, it was more likely to have been a dud than an actual, working artifact.

Thankfully, the spell didn't seem to have done much. Just, oh you know, blind everyone in the room.

George had to admit though, to actually be doing magic, real magic, was pretty neat. The most he'd ever had before was speaking to anglers, but those assholes weren't even worth it.

Still, he couldn't forget the effect it'd had. And what it meant.

Convey the speaker a particular which is nay just and is nay true. Convey the speaker a particular which names secret its identity and names secret its soul. Convey the speaker a particular which forgets. Allow it remembrance.