Water in the Earth

George stared down at the metal puzzle for what seemed like eternity. He had all but given up, and was quite frustrated with the contraption.

Why had Dream bothered to give him the toy in the first place?

And furthermore, what was with his... outburst when he left?

George tried not to dwell on it, knowing full well he wasn't going to get an answer, much less come up with an answer on his own.

So he focused on the puzzle.

When the other mer questioned him about it, he deflected everything relating to when or where he got it from. George didn't see much wrong with speaking to Dream anymore, but he knew his friends wouldn't think the same.

He was probably going to die anyway, what's the harm in making the time spent in a cage a little more enjoyable by talking with someone?

Not that it would continue. Once George asked that one simple question, it seemed almost guaranteed he'd ruined his chances at a friendship... or whatever you could call it.

So imagine his surprise when, while fumbling with the metal rings in his hands, he heard the creak of stairs under the weight of a familiar man.

He spun around, peering through the tank water to watch the telling grayscale face marching down the wood.

George noticed two things. One, that he carried today's food, which looked like a nice, whole, raw salmon. His mouth practically watered at the sight. And secondly, the bloodied bandages wrapping the upper part of Dream's arm, which were partially covered by the loose fitting blouse he wore.

If he could be honest, George would say he looked good with tousled hair and simple clothes. Much more welcoming than the full 'Captain' getup he had before.

But he couldn't be honest, because what he should have been worrying about was the clear signs of a wound.

"What happen?" George pulled himself partially out of the water and leaned on the edge. His words carried far too much weight and worry behind them to be appropriate.

Dream shrugged—with the one good shoulder—and almost didn't reply at all.

Almost. "I got shot, but it's fine."

"What! How is it fine!? Does it pain? Do humans no feel hurt?"

"Does it hurt."

"Pardon?"

"You said, 'does it pain', but it's 'does it hurt'. You switched up the words." Dream smiled gently.

George blinked before catching his composure again and waving dismissively. "Does it hurt?"

Dream sighed, rolling the bandaged shoulder as if to stretch it out a bit. "Yeah, a little. But it's to be expected, as with any battle. Raids don't exactly come without consequence."

"So that is what happen in the morning?"

Dream chuckled to himself. "Yes, that's what happened this morning. You guys must have heard that, I realize now."

George nodded in response. "There was loud noises. And feels rough, like earthquake, but closer. Not a storm, but I do not like the earthquake feel." He shook his head distantly, remembering the events that took place just a few hours ago.

George couldn't see Dream's mouth today—the mask was too low—but he was certain the man was frowning. For what reason, he couldn't tell.

"Sorry about that. You must have been scared, since you don't get that kind of thing in the ocean."

Now it was George's turn to frown. He furrowed his brows and bit his lip in thought. "What will going to happen to us? What happen to Hannah? Did you... what is word... dead her?"

Dream shook his head furiously. "No, I didn't kill her. I would never." But that was all he gave.

"Did she go back to the blue?"

Dream didn't answer. George took that as a no, and he shut his mouth quickly. Maybe he didn't want to know where Hannah had gone, because maybe it was worse than being killed.

Dream shifted his weight onto his other foot.

Gesturing towards the puzzle still in George's limp hand, he couldn't help but ask: "Have you solved it yet?"

"S..solved? What does it mean?" Unfamiliar with the word, George tilted his head.

"Uhh...unlocked?" George squinted.

"Erm...completed? Have you completed the puzzle yet?"

"Oh! No, I not completed the puzzle."

"Ah. Is it at least fun?"

George nodded slowly, looking down as he turned the object over in his hands.

"Makes me entertained, it is nice. Thank you for it."

Again, George couldn't say for certain, but he could have guessed the Captain wore a smile in that moment.

"I'm glad. Let me know when you solve- er, finish it, yeah?"

George nodded, though he wasn't quite sure how he'd have the ability to tell the man when he only saw him every once in a while. Either way, now he was more determined than ever to solve it.

He spared the object another glance before Dream held out the platter towards him, forcing him to look up. A total of four salmon sat on it; George took one.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

That simple exchange could have felt awkward, and maybe it should have, but the only atmosphere that descended upon them was a sense of comfort.

But then George smiled, and Dream turned away far too quickly after it to have been anything other than a reaction. George watched somberly as the captain delivered meals to the other three without a glance backwards.

When Dream passed George's tank again, the mer could feel the hesitation sinking down over him. But with some unseen willpower, Dream continued on. At the top of the steps he stopped again, and finally, finally, did he send a look George's way. Black eyes and a white expression shone brightly at him.

It was a look of pity.

—————

Word Count: 966
Date: 23/10/21

What!? 2 chapters in 10 days!? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH FROGGESS!!

Haha..hahahaha...ha. Guess who averages 4 hours of sleep a night thanks to school 😎

Go watch L'Manberg the Musical, we just hit 300k views now make it more

ALSO THIS IS LIKE 400 AWAY FROM 20K READS Y'ALL WTF anyway

BYEEEE

Vote? :]