Finding False Hubris

Night didn't stop the hidden city: not when there was business to do.

That was why even under the slowly descending blanket of darkness, the Badlands continued bustling, its streets filled with merchants and traders, fellow pirates, and the town guards who had long since succumbed to the city's glory through bribery or simply their own wishes.

The Badlands were on the radar of L'Manberg, though not on particularly positive terms. While it was looked down upon and treated poorly by the kingdom as the poor 'getto' town, they would be fools to let it go.

The Badlands acquired one of the largest tourist populations in the southern mainland, and being technically part of L'Manberg meant it drew in people, if the illegalities didn't drive them away first.

That wasn't why Dream was there today, however. No, he had a goal in mind that involved finding a particular old friend.

Philza owned a residence in the city, and could most of the time be found somewhere within the underground circles of the area. Right now, it was Tommy and Tubbo's job to scout; the pair had quickly run off and disappeared in the crowd the second they were allowed.

Ranboo, Ant, and Wilbur were at Dream's side as they wandered around, taking their time before they had to visit the Craft.

Stopping at what looked like a very odd store of some sort, Dream hesitantly followed the others in out of curiosity. Instantly, they were greeted by someone far to energetic for Dream's taste.

Greenish translucent skin splotched his body, while the other half might've been considered human. "Hiya! I'm Charlie! Are you here for something? I've got lots of stuff! Quills and ink, chicken, wood, anything you need!"

Dream raised an eyebrow, wondering what kind of man would be selling such a variety of items. "My friends and I will just look around if that's alright."

The space was much smaller than it looked from the outside, and within a few minutes they had browsed all it seemed existed in the shop. They took their leave, Ranboo stopping to exchange kind words with the owner-Charlie-before heading out. "We'll come back if we ever need anything, thanks though."

"Sure! Anytime, just dab me up!" He eagerly called after them.

Outside once again, the sun was almost entirely gone. A moment later, a familiar chaotic duo were running up to the group.

"We didn't find anyone suspicious, so can we visit Philza now?" Tommy pleaded.

Dream never got to answer, however, as suddenly a loud commotion could be heard just a few buildings away.

Not a second passed before a flash of orange came barreling through the people, straight towards them.

"Fundy? What are you doing here?" Wilbur prompted, before stepping out of the way as a large, angry man came after.

"Stop that thief!" He yelled, and two nearby guards were quick to join the scene. Drawing swords, they blocked Fundy's path, and suddenly the excitement died down. He was surrounded by the three, and only now could Dream spot the small hunk of cheese he held in his hands.

Wilbur, by instinct, drew his own weapon-a fine rapier-and joined his son in the circle that had formed. Ant followed.

Before Ranboo could as well, Dream held him back and watched the scene play out.

"That fox stole from my stall!"

Wilbur tried reasoning; "I'm sure he'll give it back, right?" He looked down at the boy with a stern face, only to be met by a smirk. "Like hell I will."

Provoked by this, the guards leaped forward onto them. Wil blocked the first blow, protecting Fundy so Ant had the time to cover their backs. Each taking on one guard, a flurry of clashes and silver ensued.

Thankfully, Dream's men knew this was the situation best suited for the defensive, and so they parried every attack, countered every move. In the midst of this Fundy escaped and ran to Dream and Ranboo, who watched, amused.

The crowd had both stepped back further, but also grown with interest. Fights weren't uncommon here, but swordplay was hardly involved.

This went on for a minute or so, before Wilbur glanced towards Dream looking for help. Deciding they'd had enough (and he'd had enough fun watching), he drew his own sword and stepped in. Wilbur and Ant backed off, letting their captain take over. He disarmed the men with a few moves, stunning both them and the crowd. Ranboo pried the cheese out of Fundy's hand, tossing it to the masked man who caught it on the end of his sword.

Dream pointed it at the stall owner, who hesitantly took the hint and grabbed the cheese.

"We don't want any trouble. Now unless you plan on picking a fight with all of us, we'll be taking our leave now."

With that he sheathed his sword, and gestured for the others to follow as he slipped back into the crowd without another thought.

Now with Fundy alongside them, Wilbur questioned his teenage son. Whether it was with disappointment or curiosity, Dream didn't know.

As he tuned in, he caught part of the conversation.

"-mise it wasn't just to take it! There was this lady, she couldn't afford it you know. The guy was really mean about it, and I was gonna give it to her! I just didn't expect him to, well, notice me."

Before Wilbur could answer, Tommy jumped in. "You need a lesson in stealth, Fundy. Don't worry, I can teach you. What do you say, Tubbo?"

"Tommy, I think you are the least qualified person here to talk about stealth." Tubbo replied.

Fundy scowled at the two. "I'm the stealthiest person here already, I don't need lessons."

"What you need, is to not get caught. We won't always be there to get you out of your messes, so do mind staying out of messes in the first place, yeah?" Wilbur finished, just before they reached their destination.

They entered a scrappy looking pub that held far too many customers for it's quality in appearance, Dream immediately scanning the crowd for a certain someone. A voice came from behind, the tell-tale sign they were not there in vain.

"Dream! What a pleasant surprise to see you here!"

-----

Word Count: 1052
Date: 27/06/21

ELLO. Guess what- I had a cool idea for a sequel to this book, but I haven't even finished this book yet. Why do I do this to myself -_-

Anyway, if I make a sequel it may or may not be Karlnap. But that's not for a while, is it :)

OKAY BYEEE