Never stray from a detour

TW // violence, death, blood

The quietness of the oceans had been very uncharacteristic for Dream.

For the past 4 months, he and his crew had put their usual escapades on hold for the purpose of merfolk hunting.

It wasn't that the king was looking for mermaids in particular, but the prices for his fishy friends fetched far more than most measly treasures they plundered.

Dream had been hesitant, of course, but so long as he sold to trusted buyers (albeit for less money) no merfolk would be harmed.

Well, maybe that was an overstatement. No merfolk would be killed, was more accurate.

Regardless of why things had been strange lately, Dream missed the old days. And the old days happened to be fairly recent.

That was why Dream had decided it was time for a break.

Unfortunately, the crew of the Morrow Perfidia couldn't afford to target another L'Manbergian naval ship, or it could spell out the worst for Bad. It was a shame, considering Dream was fully aware of several of such ships crossing through the very same waters they were headed to, but thankfully not all was lost.

Dream had received word that a passing merchant vessel (which had just so happened to have acquired a large sum of gold by a certain Manifold Land) would be open and vulnerable for a small window just before it passed through the Rapids Canal: meaning Dream and his crew would have no problem going on a little heist.

So here they were, preparing the cannons and readying the sails for a fleeting escape.

Soon enough, they could see the trade ship on the horizon.

-----

"Ship, port side!" Sapnap called out before Dream had the chance to.

A grin spread across all their faces, the excitement threatening to burst out of the crew. This was in their blood, and even Dream's anticipation could be seen through his fully lowered mask.

It was no time before they were within firing range, and nearly everyone who wasn't below deck manning the cannons was above and in full focus of the target to their left.

30 of his crew stood by the railing, waiting for a command from their captain; but Dream felt like giving the defenders a choice, first.

"Ahoy, Captain!" Though Dream greeted with no sincere joy, other than what he was itching to get on with: the real fun.

"What is your business?" Someone, Dream presumed to be their captain, shouted back. It was no surprise he seemed wary of the silver and black craft.

"Just some good ol' pirating! Surrender, or take your chances among my men!" Dream responded, all too casual.

"I think I like those odds!" It was a blatant lie, as there was no possible way this man had the means to overpower the SMP. As usual, the Captain's pride overruled any rational thought, and Dream let out a grin, eyes dripping with malicious hunger.

"Have it your way then!" Dream glanced to Sapnap, who yelled down the side of the boat. "Tubbo, fire away!"

From then on it was chaos. Loud booms could be heard from a mile away, gunshots being exchanged among cannons.

Then there was a bite.

Dream recognized the stinging pain of a bullet in his arm only after the crimson began to seep through his shirt, adrenaline pumping through him. Thankfully, his dominant hand was fully functioning.