• Information/Extras Chapter •

Hey y'all! Author here :D

Don't worry, I'm not abandoning this thing, I know that's what a lot of people think when they see this kind of chapter title. Nothing like that.

One of the comments I've seen inspired me to draw some stuff, and I managed to finish what I was working on for the past day or two. With those drawings, comes a little background chapter! This will mainly just be tidbits of information about the world of merfolk, and explaining the lore of George's side that I've kept buried in my head up until now. So if you don't care about that then you can skip right past it I suppose :/

If you ARE however interested, keep reading! I'm hoping this chapter will explain things in a bit more detail and clear up any possible confusion, because it's a lot easier to write full on descriptions when your aren't restricted by the limitations of a plot.

I'll most likely be editing this chapter several times to include more as things go on, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, whether in this chapter or any other! I'll be happy to answer, and if I don't get to you then it means my wattpad notifs have probably decided to go splat.

Without further ado, let's get into it!

Disclaimer: Nothing shown in this chapter is accurate to true merfolk myth, and was created entirely by my imagination. Do not take any of it to be factual.

Mer History

Every culture has stories. Stories told by parents to scare their children into brushing their teeth; stories passed among friends about the haunted shipwreck 50 tails over. But this story, this is the story all mer children are told from the beginning.

Long, long ago, before mer or humans ever existed, the Sun and the Moon were equals. The earth existed, and the sisters were tasked by the gods in creating life. Upon agreement, they each drew their own creatures. The land for the Sun, and the water for the Moon.

The Moon started, and made her fish. From the fish, the Sun made reptiles: lizards, snakes. From the snakes, the Moon made eels, and sharks, and rays.

This continued, and the two built a world together, one by one, in harmony.

But it didn't last long.

The Sun was greedy, and betrayed her own sister. It wasn't long before the Moon had discovered the Sun had made creatures that the two hadn't agreed upon. Creatures that took over what they wanted; creatures that were hungry for the knowledge of everything; creatures..that weren't supposed to exist.

The Sun had made humans.

At first it did little. They were land-walkers, and so they stayed on land. But it wasn't long before they began to crave the knowledge of the sea, too.

As the humans invaded the oceans, lakes, rivers, the Moon's power diminished. The magic of the water was weak, and so was she.

The Moon begged her sister to stop them, to help her, but the Sun only wanted more.

The Moon grew weaker and weaker, each passing day only a sentence of punishment she did not deserve. She was forced to watch as her creatures were slaughtered and killed; she could do nothing.

The Moon had almost given up, when hope appeared.

A solar eclipse.